MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SR2 /Sigma Tour/ layout sugestion/ symmmetrical pin to pap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:39 am 

I am a proud owner of an SR2 drilled 70x4x40 1000 matt. The ball rolls great I have shot a couple 300s with it. I am thinking of getting a Sigma Tour and putting the same layout on it. I figured if they are too similar in reaction I can change the surface or add hole. I am speed = revs, 7* tilt, 45* rotation +/- 15*. If anyone has any good suggestions I welcome them

Last edited by TOP5 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SR2 owner thinking of getting Sigms Tour. layout sugestion
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:42 am 

60x35@5.25". Have this one retain what little tilt you have to make a more pronounced backend move. If it misses the breakpoint hit the surface, hole placement can also be significant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:52 pm 

question. For bowlers like me who have low axis tilt. Is it ideal to use pin distances/layouts that reduce the differential? Would to much differential make my ball roll out quicker limitting me to straiter angles?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:28 pm 

Differential isn't as much the factor in pin distance decisions as tilt retention. Asymmetrical balls are much easier to deal with because the flare amount remains constant from 2.5"-6.75".

Symmetrical balls have a flare apex at 3.375", but a linear retention scale from 6.75" to 0". The chart helps illustrate this.

When axis tilt and axis rotation are equal, that defines the roll stage when the ball has maximum hitting power. As a low tilt player, you want the ball to retain enough tilt to ensure transitions happen at the proper time. With high tilt players, you want to burn tilt to ensure transitions happen at the proper time.

Differential alone isn't the determining factor to playing straighter angles, it is primarily a balance of surface and differential ratio to control the timing and length of the transitions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:37 pm 

the points where the red line intersect the black line. Is that showing the minimum rate of tilt burn? Also if I for some reason punched a P3 hole would that increase the rate of tilt burn?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:18 pm 

A P3 hole will have a very minimal impact on the rate of tilt burn, only the diff ratio and as a result spin time. The diff ratio directly controls the length of time between the first and second transition.

There is no actual value for the tilt burn, that line only is intended to show the relationship of pin distance to tilt burn. The intersection points will vary based on the mass properties of the ball as well as the bowler's delivery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:07 am 

Thanks for the great info. I will try that layout. I will post the result

Post subject: Re: SR2 /Sigma Tour/ layout sugestion/ symmmetrical pin to pap
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:52 pm 

JustinWi wrote:
60x35@5.25". Have this one retain what little tilt you have to make a more pronounced backend move. If it misses the breakpoint hit the surface, hole placement can also be significant.

question: My PAP is 4.5" over and .5" up. that layout puts the cg .5" right of my grip center. Would it be wise to reduce the first angle to accommodate a balance hole just in-case the ball reaction needs to be fine tuned?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:20 am 

TOP5 wrote:
Would it be wise to reduce the first angle to accommodate a balance hole just in-case the ball reaction needs to be fine tuned?

Wouldn't be a bad idea, the drilling angle is inconsequential to reaction in symmetrical balls.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:34 pm 

I went 40x5.25x35 with a shallow p2 hole box surface. The layout is golden. Struck the first nine in the first game and shot 278. The backends were flying by the seconed game so I switched to the SR2 and played straight up the track coming behind the ball creating a heavy roll, 236, 245. Those two balls show no mercy when you get them rolling. I make it a habit now to check my balls for splinters :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next