MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: SR2 Maintenance Routine?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 pm 

Hello,

I just picked up a new Motiv SR2 and was wondering if there is any recommended maintenance routine that should be followed, similar to the way other manufacturers such as Ebonite have recommended maintenance schedules.

Thanks-

Post subject: Re: SR2 Maintenance Routine?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 am 

I use a simple spray on cleaner like PowerHouse Energizer after every round as a simple clean up, and after about 20-30 games i'll really clean up the Motiv gear with the PowerGel Clean. This may be overkill but it seems to keep everything in good shape and consistent.

Motiv-ate your game
(R)QZ1/GT1/SR2/SX1

Sig T soon I hope, Maybe a Raptor for X-mas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 am 

Thanks for the tip-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 am 

In a perfect world you wipe with a microfibre after every shot and clean after each set with a separate microfibre cloth and Power Gel Clean.

The wipe between each shot is most important for removing as much oil as possible as quickly as possible, and consistency of reaction, especially with the "X" coverstock. Also, the less oil you let in now, the less you have to take out later.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 pm 

Thanks for the info.

Still, I'm a bit surprised Motiv does not list a set of recommended maintenance procedures. I realize maintaining a modern ball is a different kettle of fish than an old world ball. Suffice to say, wiping down the oil after each shot is a good "ounce of prevention," rather than having to deal with removing oil later on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 pm 

One other neat thing is the oil absorbing properties of Power Gel Scuff. If you are getting near to the point of saturation, simply lightly coat the ball and let it dry overnight. This will extract a good amount of oil. I have also successfully rejuvenated a few of the balls that were completely saturated.

It remains to be seen if a regular treatment with Power Gel Scuff will prevent a ride in the Rejuvenator.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:59 pm 

My method of cleaning is to simply soak a ball in hot tap water (NO SOAP!!, This can actually work against you). Upon removal, dry and then wipe with a cloth that has rubbing alcohol on it. Repeat process until no more dirt is showing up on alcohol towel. I would like to add, that I have seen a difference in the amount of oil I remove from MOTIV balls vs. other brands. I find the MOTIV balls do not absorb as much as others. I usually clean my equpiment around the 20 game mark, which in some cases is weekly. I have not seen any reduction in POP from MOTIV balls following a few cleanings. In fact, I have not seen any reduction, even when they have quite a few games on them. Part of the reason that they are the only balls in my bag now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:33 pm 

JustinWi wrote:
One other neat thing is the oil absorbing properties of Power Gel Scuff. If you are getting near to the point of saturation, simply lightly coat the ball and let it dry overnight. This will extract a good amount of oil. I have also successfully rejuvenated a few of the balls that were completely saturated.

It remains to be seen if a regular treatment with Power Gel Scuff will prevent a ride in the Rejuvenator.

It's worth noting that the Motiv Power Gel Scuff and Power Gel Polish both have cleaning properties, but having never used them, I wonder if both the Scuff and Polish products clean the ball to the same degree as does Power Gel Clean. Since my ball has only a few games on it, the maintenance procedures I ask about are issues to be dealt with eventually and not immediately. For now, I'm just going to use a microfiber towel after each session to give the surface a good going over and we'll play the real cleaning stuff by ear. Still, I wanted to inquire from folks quite familiar with the SR2 what a good maintenance strategy would be.

Thanks for your helpful info...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:42 pm 

Phil Kaiser wrote:
My method of cleaning is to simply soak a ball in hot tap water (NO SOAP!!, This can actually work against you). Upon removal, dry and then wipe with a cloth that has rubbing alcohol on it. Repeat process until no more dirt is showing up on alcohol towel. I would like to add, that I have seen a difference in the amount of oil I remove from MOTIV balls vs. other brands. I find the MOTIV balls do not absorb as much as others. I usually clean my equpiment around the 20 game mark, which in some cases is weekly. I have not seen any reduction in POP from MOTIV balls following a few cleanings. In fact, I have not seen any reduction, even when they have quite a few games on them. Part of the reason that they are the only balls in my bag now.

That's very interesting. I'm curious, have you tried your method without the water presoak? I guess the one advantage of the older, low-tech equipment is the lack of maintenance routines required - throw some games, give the ball a quick once-over wipedown and throw it in the bag. ;-)

Thanks for your reply...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 pm 

I have not tried it with out the pre-soak. I'm sure there would be some conditioner removed with just the alcohol though. However, by soaking in warm water, you will actually see oil start to flow from the ball as you are submersing it. Once the ball has been warmed a little due to soaking, the alcohol is able to penetrate for further cleaning. I have actually developed this method over the last year and find it to work best. I used to use detergents but found that reaction qualities of the balls could be somewhat diminished. After taliking to one of the chemical engineers I work with, we determined why this may happen. Long story I won't get into but as I said, I would not advise using them.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]