MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Rev rate
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:16 am 

I am looking for some tips and drills to help increase my rev rate. I get the ball to hook and I can even swing it but ball speed is at about 11 to 12. Looking to increase my rev rate so I can get the ball speed up, get more carry etc.

Post subject: Re: Rev rate
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:11 am 

Inserts will create more lift at the release, increasing your rev rate.... have you tried that?

also rev rate isn't everything...... don't forget bowlers like Duke and WRW Jr. make a living and a name for them self with little revs and a lot of consistency.... revs aren't everything.

Motiv-ate your game
(R)QZ1/GT1/SR2/SX1

Sig T soon I hope, Maybe a Raptor for X-mas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:05 am 

I agree with blueliner, rev rate is not everything. Never having seen you throw a ball its hard to offer any advice though. Is there any chance you could post a video? Also, entry angle is probably the most important factor to high carry percentage. There have been many time where I was spinning the ball with a low rev rate and carried great. Spinning allowed the ball to get way down the lane while retaining energy and then take a sharp entry into the pocket. If your track is high, you could try learing to lower it a little. This may be an option to consider.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 am 

I also agree with both... I am a high rev player and often find myself having to adjust my hand to have less revs to carry corner pins and keep from driving past the 9. There is nothing wrong with having low revs. Possibly the best advantage in bowling.

Also it's about hand and release positioning.

High Avg - 238
PBA member
Motiv Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:29 pm 

I do have a pretty high track what can I do to lower it? I agree also that Revs are not everything but I just want to be more versatile and I think it would be easier to be versatile if I had more revs and could dial rev down when I wanted to. My theory is once I figure out more revs it will be easier to not rev the ball as much when I don't need to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:48 pm 

The only thing that can really affect your rev rate in a drilling sense is whether or not your traditional or finger tipped, I'm assuming that you are throwing finger tips if your kicking it around regularly on a bowling forum. Learning to add more revs to my release was to as simple as keeping my hand behind the ball and coming around at the point of release. Imagine keeping your palm open facing the pins through the down swing, and after release your hand should be in the position to shake someones hand, the more i did this the more I was able to snap my wrist around. I can now play either up 20-25 or straight up 5......

you may wanna try one of those ugly metal wrist supports that lock your wrist in a aggressive position making learning your new release easier.

Motiv-ate your game
(R)QZ1/GT1/SR2/SX1

Sig T soon I hope, Maybe a Raptor for X-mas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:59 pm 

Best advice (IMHO), is find a good IBPSIA balldriller/coach. A good coach will have the experience to TEACH you what you want to learn and will probably have a video camera to show you (hopefully in slow motion) what you need to do..

Jeff

Seed Staff Member
Silver Level USA Coach

300 X 20
800 X 10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 am 

blueliner011 wrote:
The only thing that can really affect your rev rate in a drilling sense is whether or not your traditional or finger tipped

That isn't completely true, pitch adjustments can have a dramatic effect on your roll.

The best way to increase the amount of hook, is to get your timing later and get your release clean. This creates more leverage at the point of release. Without showing and working on the lanes it is difficult to nail down. Basically less is more, positioning your hand properly and not hitting it at the bottom is best in today's game. A clean release that gets the ball to project through the fronts results in a significantly stronger backend reaction. I know it sounds vague, but again without lane time it is hard to teach it exactly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:48 am 

Timing + Swing = Release. Think that was from Fred Borden's book (Gold level coach & former Team USA coach). Like they said, alittle late timing where you are at the line alittle ahead of the ball and getting the ball to come off your hand cleanly will help increase the revs. Listen to what JustinWi says about revs. Saw him bowl this past w/e and OMG, what a rev rate! The kid (anyone half my age is affectionately & respectfully called kid) can really rip it. Had to sand & recoat the heads after he got done bowling. :D

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:05 am 

I'm going to second Jeffs advice on getting a coach. Having someone who is knowledgeable watch you, as well as tape you, makes it easier for them to show you what you are doing right and wrong.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next