the cup and collaspe release? I've been studying
video's on you tube and I'm amazed of how easy
and comfortable it looks. I'm sure it also increase's
carry and the ability too play extremely deep. I'm
not interested in a huge amount of hook,this release
looks all about control. My second question is, with
this release, does the track stay closer too the finger
and thumb holes and decrease tilt? It seems the more
paralell the track is to the grip,the better the carry.
Thanks for the help,
Bakerrr
(love my Motiv equip)

Post subject: Re: Release Help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:28 pm 

There is a Chris Barnes training video with Fred Borden/Jeri Edwards where he explains all the releases. I am not sure if it is available on youtube, but search through bowl.com's crappy website there is a bowl tv section that includes coaching tips. Also, you can sign up for mybowlingcoach.com (there is a fee) I am sure it would be in there too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:43 pm 

Bakerrr wrote:
This is a question too anybody, but I'd like to hear
Justin"s take on these questions be cause I've seen
him throw in his ball video's.
Is there any training drill or written information on
the cup and collaspe release? I've been studying
video's on you tube and I'm amazed of how easy
and comfortable it looks. I'm sure it also increase's
carry and the ability too play extremely deep. I'm
not interested in a huge amount of hook,this release
looks all about control. My second question is, with
this release, does the track stay closer too the finger
and thumb holes and decrease tilt? It seems the more
paralell the track is to the grip,the better the carry.
Thanks for the help,
Bakerrr
(love my Motiv equip)

Bakerrr,

Let me see if I can help. If you have seen Justin throwing the ball, you may have also seen me. I am the one throwing the GT1 in the last video added.
http://www.youtube.com/user/coasterb#p/u/0/76ha9Ib32GI
Sorry about the quality but the video camera operator was new at this.

As for Justins game, he has a very modern game and throws the ball great. Very few people, including myself, can do what he does. I also have almost 20 years on him too, which probably does not help. Now back to your question. The release Chris Barnes does, is in my opinion, not that easy to master. I am sure he has spent hundreds of games fine tuning it. Additionally, I have seen video of his release on youtube and I can assure you, he is capable of releasing the ball differently, as required by lane conditons. His track is also lower than you think. This was told to me by a multiple PBA title winner right after we finished bowling a match (he won, UUGGHHH!!!)

A couple of things I would like to know about your track is, how far off the thumb and fingers is it? Also, where on the lane do you like to play most often? How many games a week do you bowl and how long have you been bowling?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 am 

When my release feels "wrong" or my roll is off, in order to fix it I have a practice session to focus on a couple of things.

Keeping my fingers on the inside of the ball as long as possible and pushing my fingers down the lane. Instead of hitting up, I try to push my fingernails as far down and into the lane as possible.

It may sound weird, but keeping the fingers inside and not hitting up generates a ton of leverage. Combine that with late timing and you can hook the ball a mile.

The problem I have is too much friction. As happened at Bob's tournament, when the heads go away, so does my look. I throw it 18mph, but the 495rpm and 13"+ track diameter combined creates a whole lot of friction.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:32 am 

Thanks for the reply's guys. I did'nt figure this
new technique would be easy, but well worth it.
To answer Phil"s question, I've been bowling for
29 yrs, bowl 4 leagues a week(according to my
wife that's about too change) ave. in the low
220's and am a avid practicer.(is that a word??)
I don't have a CATS reading on my rev rate, I
can vary roll and speed when I need too,just
looking for something more effective.
Thanks again,
Bakerrrr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:52 am 

Bakerrr,

As Justin pointed out above, sometimes less is better. Your averaging 220 in mulitple leagues. Nothing to be ashamed of there. What I would like to know now is, has your average dropped off, risen or stayed the same? When did this change, if any, start to take place. Sorry to keep asking questions but never having seen you throw the ball and not knowing what you bowl on, makes it hard to give advice on what you may want to do to raise your average. Is there any chance you could post a video? You may be able to get some really solid advice once people have seen you throw the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 pm 

Phil,
Hey I don't mind the questions,you're taking the time
to answer me,thanks.
My average has stayed in the 220's all year, I'm my own
worst enemy sometimes,practicing and video taping with
my daughter's digital camera. I go home and think I need
to change something. The conditions I bowl on are THS for
sure,just not as much volume as other places.We deal with
carrydown alot.
So I guess my question now is,I really try to prepare my
game for tournaments I plan too attend,do I need too invest
the time in a better high track release? Sraighter seems too
work when I'm out of town,looking for improved carry. My
normal track is 1.5" from the thumb and 2.25" from my
fingers. I'm open too any and all opinions.
Thanks,
Bakerrrr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:27 pm 

Bakerrrr,

To me it sounds like you actually have a good roll. Too high a roll and its tough to play deep. Too low and heavy oil can be an issue. Your kind of in the middle. having your daughter videotape you is great. It does show you what your doing. Plus if you make changes and want to see if they have actually taken place, as opposed to "feeling" like they did, you have a starting point with the video. As for wanting to bowl tournaments, I can tell you it is a great feeling to be handed an envelope stuffed with money. The more the better. The bad part is, I don't think you can prepare for the tournaments as you are thinking you can. Nothing beats experience. What I think you should do is just go out and bowl but do it lightly at first. You will quickly learn where the weaknesses are in your game. For example, many events tend to make you play very deep (5th-6th arrow) late in the day. Is that something you have done before? Other times you have to play outside first arrow, as that is the only place there is hold. The advice I have to offer you is this: I have several different releases. I can make the ball track so it is just clipping my thumb, as well as have the track be 4" away from my thumb (roll vs. spin). I have also thrown all my balls on a bunch of different conditions and carefully studied thier reaction characteristics. Knowing how a ball reacts, on a certain conditon, when thrown a certain way and exactly when to do it, is what you need to do to prepare for tournament bowling. Many times the only way to find that out is to go out and do it. I guess you could say you have to pay your dues. As I said earlier, I am lucky in that I have a house that will custom oil lanes for me to practice on. If that is something you could workout with a local house, that would also really help. I have a bunch of other things that might help too. If you want, contact me at bowlingball4u@yahoo.com and we can make arrangements to talk.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:21 pm 

Phil Kaiser wrote:
Nothing beats experience. What I think you should do is just go out and bowl but do it lightly at first. You will quickly learn where the weaknesses are in your game. For example, many events tend to make you play very deep (5th-6th arrow) late in the day. Is that something you have done before? Other times you have to play outside first arrow, as that is the only place there is hold. The advice I have to offer you is this: I have several different releases. I can make the ball track so it is just clipping my thumb, as well as have the track be 4" away from my thumb (roll vs. spin). I have also thrown all my balls on a bunch of different conditions and carefully studied thier reaction characteristics. Knowing how a ball reacts, on a certain conditon, when thrown a certain way and exactly when to do it, is what you need to do to prepare for tournament bowling. Many times the only way to find that out is to go out and do it. I guess you could say you have to pay your dues. As I said earlier, I am lucky in that I have a house that will custom oil lanes for me to practice on. If that is something you could workout with a local house, that would also really help.

+1

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]