MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Pin below the fingers?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:44 am 

I've had bowling equipment drilled with the pin below the fingers, and I was actually led to believe that was the strongest drilling you could get. Is that valid for Motiv equipment? On the drilling guide there's no mention of drilling a ball with a pin below. Since I'm punching up a couple here soon, please explain the pin-under method and how/when it benefits. Thanks yall!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

Post subject: Re: Pin below the fingers?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm 

For me, a pin under the ring finger or the bridge usually means a earlier read of the mid-lane w/smooth continuation to the pocket as it comes off the pattern. Nothiing flippy about this layout. I have a GT1 (shiny), an SX1, and an SR2 drilled this way. Both check up earlier than their counterparts w/pin above the finers. I wouldn't necessarily call it a strong drilling just one that gives you a different read of the lane when you feel you need it . . like alittle heavier patterns and/or moderate oil patterns that seem longer. Hope this helps & best of luck.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:28 pm 

I agree with Bob. For me, pin below hasn't really ever been stronger or weaker, just a different shape. Definitely earlier and a little more arcy. I've had a lot of success with stuff drilled pin under. They can provide a very consistent, reliable motion.

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:09 pm 

Bob Michalojko wrote:
For me, a pin under the ring finger or the bridge usually means a earlier read of the mid-lane w/smooth continuation to the pocket as it comes off the pattern.
+1

The higher VAL angle of a pin down drilling creates a slower transition upon encountering friction, this results in a smoother more archy reaction. The "earlyness" depends on the drilling angle as well. Want a ball to go long and be smooth? Pin down, high drilling angle. But you do get to a point where you need a good amount of friction for the ball to read consistently. Put it back in the bag when you find carry-down or spottiness, or you are asking for trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:22 pm 

So, in general, I'm going to get a Tr2, and a Qz1. The qz1(red) is for dry lanes, so with a pin-under drilling, the ball would be good for dry conditions? Or would I drill it above the fingers, like 5 1/2" from PAP? under the fingers hooks sooner, but not so "flippy". I had a Storm Hyroad drilled that way, and worked pretty well. My Sr2 is drilled 4 1/2" with pin above ring finger, and it was skid-flippy. I think I would like the qz1 with pin-under. Probably under my middle finger. This drilling probably wouldn't benefit on the Tr2, I wouldn't think?

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:08 pm 

I have a QZ1 (purple) w/ring finger thru pin & it is real smooth. Even though is it not shined up, I can use it quite well on drier patterns. I think a red one w/pin @ 5 1/2 above would not be as flippy as you think. The QZ does not have as aggressive of a core as the SR/SX do so I think you should be ok. Good Luck!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:51 pm 

I have a QZ1P and a QZ1R I drilled to combat dry. Both very different layouts. The QZ1P has the pin under the middle finger, while the QZ1R has the pin way up.

QZ1R:

This one is super super clean through the fronts, and tips off of friction.

QZ1P:

**gotta find the pic and/or take another one :) **

This one is clean through the fronts but makes a much more even move off of friction.

They compliment each other well depending on the amount and length of carrydown, as well as how burned the fronts are.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]