Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: New to Motiv - Desperate for Sigma Tour Help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm 

Hello All,

New to Motiv and I can't wait to start.

My girlfriend got a Recon RX1-S as her dry lane ball for the Women's Open and is now getting a Sigma Tour drilled. Her current arsenal is:

Virtual Grvity
Gravity Shift
Recon

The goal of the Sigma Tour is to be a little weaker overall compared to the Virtual Gravity but similar shape, maybe a bit longer. Without knowing any of her stats, if the Sigma and the Virtual were drilled identical, how would they compare.

I understand comparison of two brands is difficult, but unfortunately, this is all I have to go on right now. The ball is a birthday gift and still trying to keep it hush-hush.

If more information is needed from the Motiv experts, ask away.

Post subject: Re: New to Motiv - Desperate for Sigma Tour Help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:47 pm 

I think that the Sigma will not be longer, but rather earlier, but more controlled around the corner. You're right, comparing between brands is like asking whether you like peanut butter or jelly best. Both are good, just different.

Depending on the conditions she encounters, and depending on the layouts already in play, it wouldn't be too hard to place the Sigma somewhere in between with regards to total strength.

We'd need more info on speed, tilt, axis rotation, rev count, and the current set up regarding the other balls you wanted to fit in between.
Remember, tho', that the Sigma is a symmetric core ball, where as the VG and the Gravity both share the asymmetric "Shape Lock HD" core.

Help is on the way! But more info is needed first!
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:40 am 

If I had to guess, I would say she is about;

PAP - 4 3/4 - 1/4 up
250 rpm
16 mph
45°-55° rotation
10°-15° tilt

Virtual Gravity is drilled about 60°x5x40°
Gravity Shift is drilled about 70°x5x40°

The current house shot is roughly 38-39 feet long with strong bump outside of 8. But they also just purchased a Kegel machine and none of the employees bowl so who knows if the shot will be consistent. The shot for me is very dry and I just got a QZ2 to go above my benchmark Avalanche Urethane (yes, that dry)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:23 am 

Well, the nice thing about Kegel machines are that, as long as they are maintained and kept clean, the pattern library makes it very simple to match shot intent with results. You should see some improvement in your condition.

What surface is on the VG, and do you keep it up regularly? The question at this point is how much hook do you want from the Sigma, and how early. The core in the Sigma is very strong and rolly, so we really can't reproduce the long and snap reaction of a Storm ball. The Sigma can produce some angular motion, but it will be much rounder than you're used to seeing.

Do you want an entirely different look? Or did you want to stay in the same type of shape pattern?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 am 

The Virtual is at 2000 Ab. with some sheen and the Shift is at 1500 polished. Obviously the Shift is not something that will be similar. Her Silver Recon is even rolling and she likes that type of roll. In college she had a lot of equipment with large angles to the VAL. But she also had a high rotation angle too. Rotation angle is better now and makes a more controlled move at the end of the pattern.

If the Sigma is a little earlier and maybe a little weaker overall, that will be just what the doctor ordered. But because of the shorter pattern and higher friction from a wood surface and some sport shots that can be well below the THS length, I don't want it to burn up either.

I hope this helps. I don't drill equipment, but I understand the theories. Just not enough experience and not a lot of equipment for myself to notice the nuances of 5°-10° differences in angles or 1/2" differences in Pin to PAP lengths.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:03 am 

Low tilt + lots of friction + 5" pin on asymmetrical = sometimes less than desirable reaction. Do the SigT 55x45@5.5". We can add diff with a hole if need be, want this one to retain tilt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:12 am 

JustinWi wrote:
Low tilt + lots of friction + 5" pin on asymmetrical = sometimes less than desirable reaction. Do the SigT 55x45@5.5". We can add diff with a hole if need be, want this one to retain tilt.

I could be wrong on the tilt. It could be higher, just don't have anything in front of me to judge.

And thanks Justin for the help. I will have the ball drilled as stated and report back with reaction and perhaps some insight for a hole.

Her goal this year is 230 and she is off to a good start considering a release adjustment this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:55 am 

Measure the tilt before punching it. If it is more than 15* use 5.25".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:25 am 

Drilled the Sigma Tour 55x4@5.25" based on Justin's guidance and took a while for her to figure out the reaction and how to manipulate it. Once she got comfortable with the ball and gained some confidence, she loves it. Started throwing it as her main league ball last week and did well but lanes started to burn up and she had to go to her Gravity Shift. Yesterday she used it the entire night and had a good night (258-290-235-783). If she didn't have a chance for 800 in the tenth frame of the last game (darn 10 pin) she would have changed balls, but had to try to finish it off with the Sigma Tour.

She loves the ball now. At first she was worried because the ball seemed to either burn up or skate past the breakpoint. But after some wear on the ball, all is well in the world.

Thanks Justin for your help. Motiv has gained two new believers in what they are doing and the equipment they are producing. We push the brand whenever and wherever.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]