MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: IS THE "Z" SHELL A TRUE URETHANE COVERSTOCK???
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:25 pm 

I am definately interested in adding a QZ1 for a dry lane ball to replace my Brunswick Slingshot, so i could have a strictly motiv arsenal. But i am a lil concerned about it, being that it says it is a urethane cover. Is this true? Like Storm's Natural? Or is it still considered a reactive resin shell?

A little side note on my dedication to our new beloved company:
Last Wednesday in league, i found the lanes to be far too burnt for any of my 3 motivs (sx1, tr2, and gt1) so my only option was to grab my slingshot. Long story short, i rolled my first ever 300 game, as well as my first 700 series. Keep in mind folks, that i am very green to bowling and this is only my 3rd year ever bowling. Needless to say, my first 300 although it wasn't shot w/ Motiv, i am still endorsing them to the fullest. And as crazy as it sounds, i am even looking for a motiv replacement for my slingshot. Which leads me back to my original question, will a QZ1 be much weaker of a cover to play the same line as w/ the Brunswick?

Post subject: Re: IS THE "Z" SHELL A TRUE URETHANE COVERSTOCK???
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:16 am 

The QZ's use a reactive cover. While they are not as strong as your other Motiv balls, they are stronger than a typical urethane cover. I've never thrown the slingshot (don't even know it's specs) so I can't comment on a comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:40 am 

The Slingshot would basically compare to a recon core in a Z shell.

The primary concern would be layout. You can tweak angles to get the result you need.

Congrats on the first 300, you'll always remember it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:37 pm 

Thank you. But in all honesty Justin, u helped with half of the battle. To everyone who doesnt know, i was about to toss my slingshot of the roof of the alley so in desperation i called Justin, who sorted everything all out, and suggested i put a p3 hole in it to combat the severe over/under i was getting. The rest is history...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:43 pm 

So Justin, do u really think the qz1 is a bit stronger than the slingshot? See, i was thinking i would need the purple one sanded to get it to play the same line (feet at 21, playing straight up 9 or 10.) But it sounds like this ball is actually much more aggressive than i had given it credit. For some reason i thought it was like the recon core, old school urethane,without any particles. Do you all think this would fit right under my sx1 in hook and reaction?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:51 pm 

The QZ1 block is a bit more dynamic than the the Slingshot, the cover is also a tick stronger.

The red QZ1 would be the most appropriate replacement.

The QZ will be cleaner through the fronts and more angular on the back then the SX1. What layout and surface is your SX1? I don't remember talking about that one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:47 am 

Well justin, for some reason my sx1, which was the fist motiv i purchased and is the ball that really turned me into a "MOTIVHOLIC", is my most aggressive ball to date, covering the most total boards. I think there are 3 fundamental reasons contributing to this though.
1. My driller had accidentally made my span about 1/8" to a 1/4" too long
2. It feels like its almost a 16lb ball, probably a heavier 15
3. The thumb pitch is more negative than my other balls.
Therefore because of these 3 elements, i cant throw this ball nearly as fast as my others, which are actually 14lbs now. Would that slower speed equate to more overall hook?

Justin, to answer your question about layout on it, its in a locker at my bowling center so im not 100% sure. But i do know that it has a 3-4" pin, and the pin is very far from my pap, as it is my only ball where the pin is up above the middle finger, maybe even slightly left of it. I think the cg is near the middle of my grip. This is the ball that i had told u he put a flare increasing hole on about 2" below pap on val. That was well before u told me about the p-hole placements, which btw he laughed at me when i told him to put a hole right next to my thumbhole. I think he feels stupid now once he saw how well it worked. I'll try and get pics of them all this week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:58 am 

As for my tr2, im having it plugged up and redrilled, everything weight hole included. Do u have any recommended layouts for this ball, that will still allow me to throw it on THS league shots? My last drilling was the leverage layout from motivs website, but i really needed it polished up big time to get good carry. Can u recommend a good dual angle that wont burn up on a house shot but can still be used sanded? I dont have nearly half the hand you do, but would like to play a line left of my usual 13 swung to 7 and back.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]