It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Raptor Not Revving Up
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm 

I thought 50x5x60 was the one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:20 pm 

The Raptor is a strong ball, I have been recommending 45 and 50* VAL angles most of the time, occasionally larger.

As much as the Cruel really likes 60-70* drilling angles, this one may like 45-60* VAL angles. Each ball has a personality, sometimes it takes a couple of tries to lock it down.

I do think that many people have the notion that a strong ball needs to be drilled strong, but sometimes that creates a situation where the ball burns off its strength far too soon. Quick transitions are good for speed dominant players, not always for more balanced or rev dominant players as it creates a lack of continuation and backend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 pm 

well Justin, i guess we will be talking layouts soon for a raptor for myself... cant wait to see what you can come up with.

House Hack Motiv Staff =)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:41 pm 

Justin,

So should I plug and redrill my ball? The layout listed in my sig is the one you gave me. I'm not sure what else to do with the ball. I don't know if it's burning up or not because I don't bowl on anything heavier than the Kegel High Street. I bowled on the Kegel Broadway the past weekend but the Raptor was way too strong for that.

In the bag:
Raging Bull 45x4x60 P2 hole
Solaris Blackout 60x4.5x35 P2 hole
SR2 55x4.75x45 no hole yet
Victory Road Solid 50x4.5x40 with a P2
715T 55x3x35 with a P3 hole
T-zone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:29 pm 

Have you tried shine yet? What surface are you bowling on?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 pm 

10 yr old Brunswick synthetics. I have not shined it. It's 1k now.

In the bag:
T-zone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:29 pm 

I gotta respond to all of this...hope I don't step on anyone's toes...we are all just trying to get the best out of the equipment we use...but..............

The Raptor is great; I love mine. But, it isn't the ball for every center or every condition; no ball is. I can't even use mine from league to league or week to week in the same center. Conditions change. Oil moves; sometimes it appears to not even be there. :mrgreen:

Point is that based upon your statistical info given to Justin, he gave you a layout that should possibly be best for the ball and you, albeit if the lane condition/surface matches up. That does not mean it will work in your center(s) every day or even at all. Lane topography, weather, lane machiine, oil choice, lane cleaner choice, buffer condition, etc. play a big, no HUGE, role in what works or doesn't. Most of today's game, after achieving a certain level of skill, is based upon ball to condition to player match-ups.

I would guess that if your Raptor is hitting like a marshmallow and you've been given a layout that matches your stats, that the ball surface doesn't match up to the friction available. Thus, as Justin said, polish it.

Then that brings me to ....

I never understand drilling a strong dull/matte finish ball and then polishiing it to react like a out of box polished ball. I guess people could save money by buying 1 ball, a spinner, cleaner, polishes, abralon pads, et. al. and bringing the 1 ball and the surface adjusting equipment to bowling. Then just change the surface to match what you need that set.

oops...that won't work cause you can't scuff (dull) the surface in the middle of a block....so if you needed to go from polished to dull your are out of luck... :mrgreen:

One ball doesn't fit all conditions. If you change it and then go somewhere which needs earlier/different reaction than you change it to, then you'll be back in the same boat.

Oh, and by the way, while we are at it...
Hey Justin, I need a ball and layout that will strike every time it touches the surface, no matter the environmental factors, operator errors, whatever, never burns up energy and leaves a flat 10, never over reacts and stones a 9 or a 7. Got one?
:mrgreen:

Just having fun with you guys... :D

MPH 16-20
RR : 420
PAP 5.125 over 0.25 down

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:53 pm 

I don't mind the feedback. My ball was great for about 40 games, now she sits in the bag. The conditions haven't changed much but the ball reaction is gone. I'll try polishing, but being a lefty, the condition doesn't break down, and polish never works well for me. My SR2 was a turd OOB but at 3k no polish, she's a beast.

In the bag:
T-zone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:47 pm 

One relevant factor that some folks forget, is that the surface of the ball will change with use. Sometimes you need to have a 2k abralon pad in the bag to scuff the ball once in a while. Reactive resin is a rigid sponge, repeated rolling over the same area will result in pores being closed and Ra changes.

TooMuchHand try touching yours with a 2k pad by hand to fluff up the surface a bit.

80% of the issues I get asked to fix with ball motion are completely resolved by adjusting surface. Granted if the initial layout is way off you can only do so much, but the point of the whole discussion is to mind your surfaces, and don't be afraid to touch them up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:17 am 

In all seriousness now, knowing that it is 40 games or so on the ball, yeah, I agree with Justin that the ball surface needs to be hit.

On the Motiv path....the Scuff cleaner product is really good for what is needed. It'll scuff the cover a touch, rubbing firmly with just a towel. Also, let the stuff dry to a powder to soak some of the oil out of the ball. I do this about every 6-12 games.

At the 20, or so, game mark is where I apply cleaners with a 2K abralon, or with a fairly worn green scotch brite (but without a lot of pressure).

By the way, being a lefty, you should just be able to kick it down the lane on a THS. :mrgreen:

I kid a lefty on one of my teams all of the time about that. He'll say he had to move 3 boards tonight. I'll go yeah you think you did. He'll kid back that I only moved 3 boards. I'll say I know I did, they just all had arrows on them.

Have a good one. Hope the surface adjustment works out. Plugging and redrilling is no fun.

MPH 16-20
RR : 420
PAP 5.125 over 0.25 down

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next