MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Balance Hole question - Primal Impulse
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:43 am 

I got a Primal Impulse for my girlfriend and had it drilled 50x4.5x40 (box finish). Her stats are:

PAP - 4 3/4 - 1/4 up
250 rpm
16 mph
45°-55° rotation
17° tilt

The ball obviously needed a balance hole for legality, and so the driller put one in. He put the balance hole 2" past the PAP on a line from the center of the grip. The thought was this would strengthen the response to friction, or that is how I understood him.

Went out on the lanes to test and the ball is very weak. I knew the ball would be "medium", but it is a bit weaker than expected. Could be the shot we tested the ball on was a little slick or didn't have any wear on it.

Question is, does this balance hole location increase the dynamics (stronger) or does it decrease the dynamics (weaker). I'm just not familiar with this balance hole location. Needless to say, she was not too impressed with the ball. Messed with the cover a bit and tried it after league last night and started to get some life in the ball, but is very similar to her Gravity Shift. Had wanted a more defined breakpoint than what her Shift gives her.

Thanks in advance for any insite/help.

Post subject: Re: Balance Hole question - Primal Impulse
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:40 pm 

That balance hole placement is not doing you any favors. Hopefully it wasn't large enough to drag the PSA past the VAL. If the griping holes are on the smaller side, it could have shifted the PSA significantly. Without a DeTerminator to find the PSA, an exact explanation of what is happening is near impossible. However, it can be corrected. There is a good chance this one is a z-axis spinner.

Did she throw the ball before placing the hole?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:15 am 

We had asked to throw the ball before adding a hole but when we got there, the hole was already in place. We have had great success with everything from him so far. He may have simply forgot to wait.

Her fingers and thumb are small (I use my middle finger to pick up her stuff by her thumbhole). The balance hole is about 3/4" and quite deep. I can barely touch the bottom with my finger.

Does correcting it mean plugging the hole? We took the surface to 2000 by hand and the reaction was better, but it also smoothed out the movement and isn't what she was looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:59 am 

Plug the hole, take the thumb a bit deeper, and then throw it before re-placing a hole. Most likely it will end up P3 right next to the thumb.

That hole placement past the VAL has no reason to be used, for a few reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:13 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. Sucks to have to plug a new ball, even if it is one hole. I'll let you know how it reacts after plugging to get information on the new hole location. P3 was what I was expecting, but like I said, never seen or heard of holes past the VAL.

On edit
Is there any concern a P3 hole won't take enough out to make it legal? The CG is already pretty far from the grip center. I guess it isn't if you make it big enough and/or deep enough, but then you are changing the dynamics even more I guess. Either way, after plugging I will let you know what the statics are to see if it is of any concern.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:06 am 

Question for justin.... Whats the purpose of taking more weight out of the thumb? Wouldnt that limit the posabilities of adding a good sized p3 weight hole?

Thanks,
Sean

As u know, im just asking u to gain knowledge not to question u. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:23 am 

It isn't the change in weight, it is the moving of the PSA away form the hole and towards the thumb. An extreme placement like that wasn't conducive to better ball motion.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]