MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Lost your reaction? Read this...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:58 am 

*This article is my personal opinion.*

Here is a great experience from this past week that I think would be beneficial to share with the community, and help people understand what is happening and what it takes to fix it when their ball stops hooking.

There was a shop that drilled 4 Raptors for customers over the span of a month, they all rolled fantastic out of the box for the first 4 or 5 sets. The customers then had them cleaned in the shop after league because the house habitually deposits stubborn belt marks on the balls. They all stopped hooking, and I got a phone call from a gentleman who I have dealt with in the past, including recommending the Raptor. At first I only knew about and addressed the one that belonged to him. He mentioned that they cleaned the ball with a certain cleaner and it seemed to shine up a bit. I suggested cutting with 500/4k because the surface was visually changed, and that sounded suspect. That procedure helped but did not restore the reaction as it was out of the box. I suggested a heavy 360 cut, then 500/4k. This worked. He also mentioned on the last phone exchange that there were 3 other Raptors that exhibited the same symptoms and all were restored with a cut with 360, then up to 500/4k. In all cases this restored their original reaction.

Obligatory Tecnobabble:

Modern coverstocks have had to find a way to create friction without exceeding the USBC Ra specification. In order to do this molecular texture additives and formulas, I have referred to them as "eccentric polymers", are being employed somewhat industry-wide to increase total friction at equivalent Ra. The base formulas and additive packages are all different from the various manufacturers based on their suppliers and R&D, and some manufacturers are not using these technologies yet. What this means is that it isn't as much about the size of the peaks and peaks and valleys as this is hard limited by the USBC Ra spec(and often will be the same from ball to ball based on the grit used to prepare the surface), but the actual microscopic molecular grit and porosity on the surfaces of those peaks and valleys. I have mentioned this as chemical landscape in the past and it is quite a bit more complex than simply texture. I'm not a chemical engineer so I unfortunately don't understand the nuances at play, but it is cool stuff.

Here is the rub:

As this texture becomes smaller, it becomes more fragile. Some ball cleaners because of their ingredients will either smooth this molecular texture because of a strong solvent/chemical in the cleaner, or plug/fill in the pore structure and texture with some solid remnant deposited on the surface after cleaning. This phenomena can be observed in all micro-texture coverstocks, not just with Motiv balls. Notice you most often hear about this issue with high end hooking balls. This is because the loss of reaction is most noticeable on the conditions intended and expectations are often high.

I must also address Oil absorption, as it is a major factor in loss of reaction and often the first troubleshooting avenue attempted. You must differentiate loss of absorption capacity, with loss of absorption capability. If a ball is saturated, in extreme cases it will remain visible on the surface at all times, it can not effectively absorb any more oil and therefore has lost absorption capacity. To restore capacity, you extract oil to make room for more with your preferred method of extraction. Loss of absorption capability is completely different. Plug the pores or melt the coverstock sealing up the pores is not good, this will reduce the absorption capability. Covers create friction primarily by texture and absorption rate, if you take away one of those factors the reaction becomes dependent on the other, and is reduced. This is why proper surface maintenance is key. The Raptor cover is a lower absorption rate formula. This results in the reaction lasting a long time but it can sometimes be a bit more sensitive to texture loss in higher volumes of oil. There is no free lunch.

What can I do about it?

1. Clean your ball after every set. I personally use and recommend Power Gel Clean because it does not leave a solid residue, and is sensitive to molecular texture. I don't know how they made such a safe but also effective cleaner, but the stuff works wonders. Cleaning addresses texture, absorption capacity, and absorption capability retention.

2. Restore the surface. This doesn't have to happen every day, but use will break down the micro texture and impede pore structure with various substances encountered while bowling. There is no set timeline for this one because it depends on what surface you are using. Often higher grits require less restoration. This is the occasional scuff with a pad by hand.

3. Aggressive cut to restore texture once reaction has been reduced. Once the surface gets broken down and reaction is significantly reduced and not being restored by a quick scuff, a 320 wet/dry or 360 Abralon pad will be required to expose new, fresh, textured, oil hungry cover.

Invariably as technology becomes more complex so does the required care and maintenance. Look at cars, cell phones, and computers. Hopefully this article as helped you understand a little bit more about what is happening, why it is happening, and how to prolong the reaction of your high performance bowling ball. More importantly, you are now better equipped to properly diagnose and treat reaction issues.

Last edited by JustinWi on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Lost your reaction? Read this...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:35 am 

MYTH-BUSTER.

Thank you for sharing such in depth information. :D

My fellow teammates still try to convince me the other brands cleaners that create a very tacky surface are better than Motiv's cleaner. However, they don't bother to do some research on most of the tech data in bowling. :lol:

Speed: 17mph
Rev: 350 rpm Tilt: 14* Rotation: 30*
PAP: 4 3/4",1/2" up

High: 690 / 907

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:16 am 

Thanks for taking the time to put out this information, Justin. It's all been said a litttle bit before, but not collectively in an article form like that. It's good instruction and I NEED to follow it myself!

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:02 am 

All time of I take slowly to clean up the balls is worth the dime, time is money.

On of my club-mate's Cruel 51 has not been cleaned EVER with cleaner,only towel and maybe water. Last month I grabbed that ball and felt like a fried chicken/house ball in my hand, i demanded immediate oven treatment. The pro said about some 2~3 oz of oil came out.

Two weeks later, that person won our annual club division tournment with avg 15 pin increase; yes and sadly, I was the runner-up :(

The lesson? don't tell the secret to your competitors. :lol:

Speed: 17mph
Rev: 350 rpm Tilt: 14* Rotation: 30*
PAP: 4 3/4",1/2" up

High: 690 / 907

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:09 am 

Thanks you for the great work Justin!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:36 pm 

WOW, great piece of work Justin. I applaud you for taking out the time to post that, hopefully others will have a better understanding like I do now..

House Hack Motiv Staff =)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:39 pm 

Thank you Justin! What a great Christmas present for all of us!
My original Cruel hasn't been the same lately, I am going to try the 360 cut and see what happens.

TZ3 - 50x35@4.75"
Thrash - 50x70@5.25" (Polish)
Venom Toxin - Coming soon!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:10 pm 

well said sir!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:01 am 

Great post Justin

Me and Royal talk about this stuff all the time.

They say "If you know better, you do better!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:53 am 

JustinWi wrote:

Invariably as technology becomes more complex so does the required care and maintenance. Look at cars, cell phones, and computers. Hopefully this article as helped you understand a little bit more about what is happening, why it is happening, and how to prolong the reaction of your high performance bowling ball. More importantly, you are now better equipped to properly diagnose and treat reaction issues.

Very well put, sir.
All too often, we look for the easy path, and complain when there is an impediment on that path. Like Justin stated- there are no free lunches: in order to compete at a higher level, we must evolve, learn and accept that with greater ability requires maintaining ever greater knowledge-- one of the major draws of this forum!

I was taught early one early lesson (an extension of the Golden Rule): "If you are unwilling to make an effort to change a bad situation, you relinquish the right to bitch about it."

Effort, effort, learn and learn.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next