MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Going completely Motiv.... help choosing 3rd Ball
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:34 am 

So I have had an SR2 since January and I love it. I have shot my highest games with it, including 278, 279, and 288. Recently I have gotten my paws on a Cruel C51 and I love it. It is very strong and hits the pocket like a Mac Truck. So with a combination of the Cruel C51 for the first two games, and the SR2 to finish it out, I feel I have a great one two punch.

I also carry an Angular One in my bag, as well as a White Dot, which I used to carry for 10 pins. I hardly ever use the White Dot anymore as I have learned, and prefer using any of my strike balls for a 10 pin. So I want to take my arsenal down to 3 balls, and I want to replace the Angular One with another Motiv to take me completely Motiv.

So what do you guys think would give me the best arsenal with the Cruel C51 and the SR2. I was considering the Recon as I have two pretty strong balls, and it would give me something to use if the lanes really dry up. But part of me still wants something a bit more powerful than the Recon, even though it does look sweet. Should I wait a couple months to see what Motiv comes out with next? It's always a waiting game with anything.

FYI, I have bought both of my Motivs at Bowlers World and they have been drilled by Justin. I do not know the exact specs of my drilling, as that part of bowling eludes me, but if that helps in a decision, Justin should know. This 3rd on will also probably be bought from Justin.

Thanks for any help!

TR2: 60x40@4 1/8" P3 hole. BS.
Primal TV4:
Cruel C51: 50x50@4.75" P3 hole. 800.
SR2: 45x45@4" No Hole. BS.
TX1: 75x50@4.5" No Hole. 800/Rough Buff.
Recon RX1: 75x35@4.5" P1 Hole. BS.

Post subject: Re: Going completely Motiv.... help choosing 3rd Ball
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:49 pm 

Take a look at the RX1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:58 pm 

I would recommend the Recon RX1 or one of the QZ's. These balls will get down the lane more than the SR2 & Cruel yet still have plenty left at the end of the pattern to make a solid move to the pocket. The purple QZ is a very smooth ball & the red QZ will give you more of a 'pop' on the b/e. Really love my Recon on out THS. I can play up 4 w/it or go in alittle and swing a few boards. When the shot really burns up the Recon comes alive! Clean through the heads w/plenty to spare. Which ever you choose, you can't go wrong . . there all MOTIV BALLS :)

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:55 pm 

My thought is either of the QZ's. It's a pretty big jump to go from the SR2 to the Recon. The difference in strength between the SR2 and the QZ is not nearly as big of a gap. I would think of it as going down one step at a time, going from the SR2 to a QZ, but a three step jump to go from the SR2 to the Recon. If you are comfortable making that big of a jump, the Recon hits like a truck. What am I saying, all of the Motiv equipment hits like a truck when you throw it on the right condition. You really can't make a bad choice. Good luck.

BTM Youth Writer
Ken Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach
BWAA Member
SWBA Member
NCBCA Member
USBC Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 pm 

qz is great ...or you could just buy a
nother cruel and drill a longer pin.. 5 or 6 inch. same drillings longer pins work great...

jim huddleston
motiv staff member
rosebowl pro shop new castle,in

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 pm 

I have decided to go with the Recon. It gives me that low end that I want, which I might not use all that often, but will help when the lanes dry up a bunch. The jump isn't a huge deal since I wont be using it a whole bunch. It is mainly going to give me that 3rd option at the end of the night. Also, how could you go wrong with a bright orange ball?

TR2: 60x40@4 1/8" P3 hole. BS.
Primal TV4:
Cruel C51: 50x50@4.75" P3 hole. 800.
SR2: 45x45@4" No Hole. BS.
TX1: 75x50@4.5" No Hole. 800/Rough Buff.
Recon RX1: 75x35@4.5" P1 Hole. BS.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:37 pm 

The RX-1 will respond well to a surface change as well. Motivator-X is quite adaptable. I get a smoother look out of a TX-1 with serious polish on 2000 surface (worn pads, so probably 2500 off the Haus machine) than I do out of my Recon. It's great for taming house shot bounce.

The Thrust core burns up more in the midlane, so it's got more control once you smooth out the surface. The Recon Core stores longer, then makes a more defined move, making it more susceptible to carry down, especially if you're in an Anvilane house like me. Hence I mention tweaking the surface should you see that too.

From what I've seen, The RX-1 is super when you've got surface friction. It looks great on HPL and I've got a tournament on 30 year old wood in a couple of weeks which I'm really looking forward to taking it to. (And the fact that it's in sub-tropical Coffs Harbour here in an Australian winter. As opposed to sub-alpine Canberra, where I live!)

As for going completely Motiv, I have a Team Storm and 5 Motiv balls that I carry now. When I kit up for a tournament, I pack other stuff. It doesn't come out much tough. It just evolved that way. That speaks volumes about the gear. Dependable and powerful.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]