MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Cruel Episode 3 & 4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 pm 

Tonight I drilled my 4th Cruel. I have duplicated the layout on my favorite purple QZ1 that has been my benchmark for the last year. It is 70x45@2.5", P2 hole.

Here are the pics:

I have also taken this Cruel, drilled originally 35x45@4.875", and begun plugging. I'm debating what to try, but the mass removed by the plug may make the 120x15@6" viable. Once I get the plug work done, I'll lay it out and weigh it then decide.

Post subject: Re: Cruel Episode 3 & 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:03 pm 

Justin please correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure I will be. But I thought I recall Mo stating that the maximum drill or val angle should never exceed 90* whereas the smallest angle used should be no less than 10*

Now is that just a rule of thumb, where you may be able to get away with exceeding these limitations? Or is just because of the lost core mass from the previous drilling that will enable you to get away with such angles?

Just trying to learn here, I love this game, and everyday I try and learn something new. It wasn't too long ago that you yourself had taught me about the dual angle layouts themselves, along with the gradient line of weight holes, remember. I just hope to become a student of the game one day, and have enough knowledge to layout my own balls.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:16 pm 

strimmed wrote:
Justin please correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure I will be. But I thought I recall Mo stating that the maximum drill or val angle should never exceed 90* whereas the smallest angle used should be no less than 10*

You are correct. Most of the time going outside of those recommendations can have dire consequences.

Another member here on the boards has suggested the layout, and I'm curious. The one factor that may make the layout roll acceptably is the overall strength of the Cruel. Even though the drilling angle is very high, the angle sum isn't. At 135, you could also reach that with a 60x75. For all intensive purposes, a 60x75@6" will hook the same amount as a 120x15@6", but do so in a different shape.

As you know I am all for experimentation and finding secrets that offer performance advantages. I can't, and won't, draw a conclusion as to the effectiveness or application of the 120x15@6" layout until I try it. I will say it is NOT for everyone, but it may have application in extreme cases. With a track diameter of 13.5", and a rev rate of 495, I am considered an extreme case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:15 pm 

very good answer...the cruel is so strong that the neg.in this case helps this ball... check out the video, three different bowlers.same layout...

jim huddleston

motiv staff member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:12 am 

I have used the 70x45@2.5" Cruel next to the QZ1P and the Cruel is about 10 to 12 boards stronger. This will make a great benchmark for the tighter conditions.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]