MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Sarge Easter Drilling
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:45 pm 

I've developed a tendon problem in the right ring finger. I had my QZ2 drilled with a "Sarge Easter" drilling but the ball is now DOA! Is this drilling supposed to be a full finger grip or half finger grip. Mine seems to be half finger rather full grip. Has anyone used this drilling with success? If so, what is the secret to get some revs on the ball? Maybe I just need to throw it more to get the hang of it but after 9 tries I've gone back to the fingertip and hope I don't hurt my finger again. Appreciate any comments or helpful suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Sarge Easter Drilling
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:48 pm 

Sarge is fingertip on the middle finger and conventional on the ring finger. This grip is most often used to reduce revolutions. I have experimented with it in a few balls and could never get a consistent feel with it, but it did help reduce my rev rate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:51 am 

JustinWi wrote:
Sarge is fingertip on the middle finger and conventional on the ring finger. This grip is most often used to reduce revolutions. I have experimented with it in a few balls and could never get a consistent feel with it, but it did help reduce my rev rate.

I have never even seen this. But I have a guy who bowls one of my leagues who has wayyy too much hand for the house. I was thinking this would be a good alternative for him. Anything special about layign this out? Or just straight convential for right finger. Seems like you would hang up a lil bit?

Cruel Intent
2cruel
Revolt x2
Shock x2
Octane
APEX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:31 am 

I just went with a Sarge Easter grip due to tendon issues in my ring finger. The ring finger is conventional in length and about 1/2" reverse. I too had some issues when I first tried it. I tried it with a Gold Rhino Pro as an experiment, and when I used it an entire night, the lack of pain was unbelievable. I have now had other balls done and can say the tendon issue is much better.

One thing I have noticed though is my first knuckle is now a little swollen (bowled last night). The Rhino's ring finger was a little long and have reduced the length in the others. Also, the side of my ring finger next to my pinky gets a little irritated from the hole. Will probably start putting some thumb tape on it for protection.

As for releasing the ball, I have actually noticed a little more accuracy with the sarge easter, especially spares. I do have some trouble with consistency on my release, but have noticed a better release when I loft the ball just a tad. I am still experimenting with different release variations, but am excited about no pain.

I did lose some revolutions and my PAP seems a little different also. For me, it has helped so far. I used to have to use my blue/black QZ2, but last night I was able to use something more aggressiv (Legends World Class Reactive). The change in the release my have not only affected your rev rate, but the drillings may mean something different now also, compounding the issue more.

If you are truly having tendon issues, you should either lay off bowling for a while (all summer at a minimum) or use the Sarge Easter. No sense in causing the injury to get worse just because your ball isn't doing what it used to (it won't). Stay Motivated and pain free.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:51 pm 

spmcgivern wrote:

One thing I have noticed though is my first knuckle is now a little swollen (bowled last night). The Rhino's ring finger was a little long and have reduced the length in the others. Also, the side of my ring finger next to my pinky gets a little irritated from the hole. Will probably start putting some thumb tape on it for protection.

You need more right pitch in that finger. Probably just another 1/8th to 3/16th right added to what is there now. That will get rid of the irritation. In lieu of that for the balls you currently have set up; use a bevel knife or thumb-hole shaping tool to pull out material from the right side of that hole; that should alleviate any friction and irritation.

Good testimonial about the grip.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm 

I recently did a lefty Sarge Easter layout for a friend, neither of us had any experience at it. He was throwing a urethane pearl ball (weather co.) and it was flaring about 7" hooking the whole lane on any THS. We used my Primal as a test ball. The Sarge Easter expirement is the 3rd drilling on the ball. His was reduced to about 4" of flare and the ball didn't react nearly as early. we didn't notice any drastic reduction in his rev rate. He dominiated brackets this past weekend in states with it. I don't think we have the pitches correct, but he's happy with it and we're talking about doing another ball this way.

Attachments:
CaptureSE.JPG
CaptureSE.JPG [ 38.32 KiB | Viewed 1492 times ]

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]