MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official 2012 USBC Nationals discussion thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:30 pm 

Justin or Brett, I would like some recommendations for National's. I will be bowling 6/1-6/2.

"This year's USBC Nationals pattern presents some serious challenges.

1) Most of the balls that work at home WON'T work on this pattern. I believe to be successful on this pattern, bowlers are going to have to use balls that allow them to play a "zone" and stay in that zone for the entire squad. That means those wonderful balls with continuation, that you use at home, will put you in jail at the tournament. You don't want to use balls that cover boards at this year’s tournament.

2) Most bowlers won't be able to play where they play at home. I believe the pattern will make people play way in or way out after it transitions.

Two types of ball motions can conquer IMO this pattern. The first motion that will work is a smooth, continuous, small hook. One of the motions most bowlers hate. The other motion I feel that will work is the "hook/stop" motion. Another motion that most bowlers hate."

I would like to know which balls and layout should I use for these type of ball motions.

My information is:
Bowl right handed
Speed at the monitor: 15.68avg
Axis Tilt: 10*
Axis Rotation: 45* - 55*
Rev rate: 250-300
PAP: 5 – .5 up

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:36 pm 

Has anyone shipped 4 balls to nationals? If they are offering 50 bucks off when u purchase the VIP package, i'm assuming it must be pretty expensive.. the website didn't offer any price estimates.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 pm 

I have shipped balls in previous years. To Reno (the only place I have shipped) a four ball box was about $80 from Louisville. I think that was the rate pretty much everyone got, give or take a couple of dollars. Hope this helps.

I'll be down there 6/15 and 6/16 but am driving this year so I get to save those dollars.

BTM Youth Writer
Ken Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach
BWAA Member
SWBA Member
NCBCA Member
USBC Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:55 pm 

Dug,
was that $80.00 each way or round trip? That's close to what the airlines charge anyhow. Might as well ship them.
Ron D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:40 am 

That was one way. Sorry, should have said that.

BTM Youth Writer
Ken Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach
BWAA Member
SWBA Member
NCBCA Member
USBC Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:00 am 

254Efrain wrote:
Justin or Brett, I would like some recommendations for National's. I will be bowling 6/1-6/2.

"This year's USBC Nationals pattern presents some serious challenges.

1) Most of the balls that work at home WON'T work on this pattern. I believe to be successful on this pattern, bowlers are going to have to use balls that allow them to play a "zone" and stay in that zone for the entire squad. That means those wonderful balls with continuation, that you use at home, will put you in jail at the tournament. You don't want to use balls that cover boards at this year’s tournament.

2) Most bowlers won't be able to play where they play at home. I believe the pattern will make people play way in or way out after it transitions.

Two types of ball motions can conquer IMO this pattern. The first motion that will work is a smooth, continuous, small hook. One of the motions most bowlers hate. The other motion I feel that will work is the "hook/stop" motion. Another motion that most bowlers hate."

I would like to know which balls and layout should I use for these type of ball motions.

My information is:
Bowl right handed
Speed at the monitor: 15.68avg
Axis Tilt: 10*
Axis Rotation: 45* - 55*
Rev rate: 250-300
PAP: 5 – .5 up

Frank

Frank..Each and every year bowlers head to the USBC Nationals with a predetermined notion of what will and wont work on the USBC shot. And each and every year most of those people come back shooting 1400-1500 AE and scratch their heads wondering why!

I have been fortunate enough to have competed in the Nationals 28 years now and each and every year I have played them basically the same! Im proud to say my lifetime USBC national tourney average is 200+ including a 1923 AE this year and that I have had (compared to many others) success at the tournament.

With that said every year I go there with no expectations or predetermined notions of how Im going to play them. I dont even practice on the shot at home prior to leaving for the event. My preperation is generally two fold.

1) Go to the convention center early and find someone similar to your style who is having some success (you are very close to me from your specs) and see how they are playing them. DONT EMULATE anything they are doing just watch the shape and break point. Choose your ball based on shape (learned that from BRETT!) and do what you need to do to get your equipment to THAT break point with THAT shape and you will be successful!

2) Start where you feel comfortable- If you DO NOT feel comfortable in at 25 then dont think your going to be able to just jump into 25 and win and Eagle. Again the key is get your equipment to THAT break point with THAT shape. For me and most everyone on my squad it was the second tracer--wether it was playing 20/10 or 12/10 as long as the ball got to the tracer it was flush..I used a pin down Sigma Tour the entire event including the BTM and Bowlers Journal which were very similar and only moved once! The Middle Hooks and there were plenty of back ends in all events so nothing too flippy worked for anyone..The continuous motion of the ST was just the right tool for the job!

I played in- Thats where I have played pretty much every year Ive ever bowled the Nationals..be confident in your ability and your knowledge of your MOTIV equipment and you will be fine!

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:38 pm 

I'm going down May 1-2 with a practice session and a few blanks. I'll know more then.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:09 pm 

Justin,

I hope you will be there April 30 and May 1, not 5/1 & 5/2.... lol

Frank,

I agree with a lot of what Rick said. I also don't practice on "the shot" before going. I have tried and was greatly "mislead" about what I saw. I instead practice on difficult, flat patterns (like the Kegel Highway to Hell) and work on getting my "eyes adjusted" to squaring up and playing straaighter than I do in league. I also work A LOT on my spare shooting. A clean 210/620 type of set will make you a good amount of money most years at Nationals.

With that said, I tend to use pins close to the fingers and "tamer" drills. I also use many balls with matte finishes (non-polished), with smoother/higher grits to get some length. The non-polish is to smooth out the reaction so the balls don't jump off the end of the shorter patterns. As you said, the slower, continous motion. Now, for s/d maybe shine one of the team balls for a stronger/sharper reaction in case you have to move deep and need to turn the corner.

This year - Sigma tour- pin up, will prob be my start ball with 2K or 4K surface. Also love my raptor (yes, it is stong, but rolls even for me with a 4K surface) and my favorite ball on flatter/shorter patterns - Orange Recon (4K surface and some shine)..cheeta ball, baby! Something about a weaker core with a solid cover (pin up) rolls well on shorter patterns. I also feel the Thrash will be a good choice.

For me it's all about control. Staighter is greater theory (for team at least). This will be my 10th (I think) Nationals and average is just under 200. so, I have done ok, I feel...

I hope this helps a little...

300 X 20
800 X 10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 am 

catinthehat300 wrote:
Justin,

I hope you will be there April 30 and May 1, not 5/1 & 5/2.... lol

Frank,

I agree with a lot of what Rick said. I also don't practice on "the shot" before going. I have tried and was greatly "mislead" about what I saw. I instead practice on difficult, flat patterns (like the Kegel Highway to Hell) and work on getting my "eyes adjusted" to squaring up and playing straaighter than I do in league. I also work A LOT on my spare shooting. A clean 210/620 type of set will make you a good amount of money most years at Nationals.

With that said, I tend to use pins close to the fingers and "tamer" drills. I also use many balls with matte finishes (non-polished), with smoother/higher grits to get some length. The non-polish is to smooth out the reaction so the balls don't jump off the end of the shorter patterns. As you said, the slower, continous motion. Now, for s/d maybe shine one of the team balls for a stronger/sharper reaction in case you have to move deep and need to turn the corner.

This year - Sigma tour- pin up, will prob be my start ball with 2K or 4K surface. Also love my raptor (yes, it is stong, but rolls even for me with a 4K surface) and my favorite ball on flatter/shorter patterns - Orange Recon (4K surface and some shine)..cheeta ball, baby! Something about a weaker core with a solid cover (pin up) rolls well on shorter patterns. I also feel the Thrash will be a good choice.

For me it's all about control. Staighter is greater theory (for team at least). This will be my 10th (I think) Nationals and average is just under 200. so, I have done ok, I feel...

I hope this helps a little...

Thank you and Rick for all of the information. I practice yesterday on the Nationals pattern at Phamton Warrior Lanes, Ft. Hood. Here is what I can tell about; Outside was OB. I use the SIGMA H 50 x 5 x 40 on the fresh standing 14, going up 8th. The Sigma H was clean thru the front, once it reach the end of the pattern I can see the smooth roll. Speed is the key. 3 games 195, 245, 213. Also, I use the Trash with same layout, moving my feet to 17th going up the 10th. The Trash was a little longer but with similar reaction as the sigma. 3 games 213, 217, 189. So this practice section give me an inside of what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:26 pm 

I fully think starting that far inside is a big mistake. One or 2 people practicing there, yes it is playable, but when 10 people are bowling 30 games there, too much over/under or out of bounds is created. You can only go so far until the carry angles go away, and then where do you go? MAYBE, if all 10 guys are playing there, at the same angles, it COULD work, but you'll be at 25 by game 3.

It has been proven over and over again, that the TEAMS that do the best play outside TOGETHER and slowly move in. Again, this is the TEAM event and all 10 guys must be on the same page with the same angles. The shot will open up nicely with games 2 and 3 being very nice if played smart. Stay with the plan and be patient. Use lower to middle grit covers to start and ball down to stay right longer. The carry angle is better and the shot open more consistantly. It also leaves less OB to the right because the bowlers have opened up the area right. instead of having 10 boards of "fresh" right of where you start, there is only 5 (when start around 5/6 board). Again, more room for error. I say, keep it in play, make spares and get more agressive when it open up. a plan that has worked for many great teams in the past few years.

Singles and doubles is a crap shoot with whom you follow. could be nice or ugly.

Just what my research has shown and what I think our teams plan to do. Ok... off my soap box... lol Good Luck Efrain. i am bowling in 10 days (4/30 and 5/1)....

300 X 20
800 X 10

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next