MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: RX1 Layout for College Bowling
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:02 am 

Hey guys, just started the college bowling season and have been noticing a trend. No matter what pattern the tournament starts out with, the break down is so severe towards the end of the block i don't have anything weak enough to push past the heads out to my target. I really want to get the RX-1 but i want some layout tips before i go into the pro shop and get it drilled up. I really don't know my revs.. I would guess in the 350 to 400 range, about 17 mph and i don't know my tilt although i do get around the ball. I attached a video of me bowling so you could get a visual of my style and maybe help me drill something that will push through heads and still have the juice to make the turn and kick out the corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCBUG1hRY9I

Mike's Pro Shop Miami

Post subject: Re: RX1 Layout for College Bowling
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:44 pm 

I wasn't sure if your video was in slo-mo or you're just a deliberate bowler . . :) Anyhow, I would suggest, that if you want it for really burned out conditions, put Pin above bridge or even alittle towards your mid-finger w/cg in center of grip. If you want it for when the backends are flying put Pin below ring finger (or even drill out pin w/ring finger) w/cg slightly stacked or kicked out alittle w/P1 or P2 hole. Can't give you exact layout measurements w/o knowing your PAP. Alittle technique tip . . be careful of pulling the ball back behind your back, you may get in some trouble when the lanes are slick & you really need to keep the angle up front tight, thus playing a more direct line.

Best of luck in your college bowling career. Glad to see bowling doing so well at the high school & college levels. Welcome to Motiv-nation!

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:06 pm 

Definitely in slow mo haha :D .. I put it that way so people could get a better view of my axis maybe or tilt.. just a better view of my hand position i guess. Definitely am aware of the behind the back motion as well. I work with a gold certified coach Mike Nyitray and we have done everything imaginable :D , so we now work on honing it and making sure my finish and follow through are as repeatable and firm as possible so no matter what angle i need to play i can repeat shots. But yeah its definitely for burned up heads and my 4000 polish sr2 usually gets me through the middle games 3 4 and 5.. but i end up not really having anything to turn too when i run out of room on the right lane (damn ball return) and i need something i can shift over a bit with and still get through cleanly with enough juice at the end not to roll out.

Mike's Pro Shop Miami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:17 pm 

I agree with Bob, the RX1 does have a rather strong cover, so it's the core that makes the ball for lighter oil. Have the ball drilled weak. Bob's suggestions seem about right. Just mess with the surface on the ball to tune the reaction for the broken down shots.

For the back swing, try to keep your swing slot in line. I know your used to doing what you do but if you can have your coach work with you, it will pay you back as you get better and better. I open my shoulders up as well and early last year I was bringing the ball behind me some as well, but as I worked that out, I saw better consistancy, accuracy, and speed control. Check out this website, it's helped me over the years with some great reading.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/

Good luck,

Michael

RX1s 60x6x70
QZ2 1 inch pin to pap
Thrash 1 inch pin to pap
QZ2 BACKDRAFT 60x5x65
TZ3 70x5.5x30
Primal Impulse 90x3.5x55
Primal Impulse 75x5.5x40
Sigma Tour 80x5.5x40
Raptor Attack 95x5.25x30
Raptor P7 45x4.5x30 P1

More not listed!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:00 am 

Long and strong: 60x30@5.25"

Long and smooth: 60x60@5.5"

Place a hole to taste. You should be ok with box surface, but a bit of shine will get it thru the really toasted heads.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:39 pm 

Justin,
What do you think of a 70x30x5 for this layout. I have one of these drilled, and I think it will really help him get the ball through the heads. Let me know your thoughts.

Justin H.
Motiv Regional Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:54 pm 

The primary difference in the layout is the 5" vs 5.25". The 10* difference in drilling angle is inconsequential. Therefore the difference in reaction would be a result of the lower drilled differential of a longer pin placement.

In this case the 5.25" layout will result in a ball that will float the heads a bit better. The long pin and small VAL angle make for a long reaction with a bit of pop.

It could even be stretched out to 5.5".

Remember it is easier to add differential if needed, than take it out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:24 pm 

JustinWi wrote:
Long and strong: 60x30@5.25"

Long and smooth: 60x60@5.5"
Place a hole to taste. You should be ok with box surface, but a bit of shine will get it thru the really toasted heads.[/color]

Hear, Hear! I have an RX-1 drilled like this to combat the PHS (Pathetic House Shot) I see every Tuesday night. It was 60x30 originally and was too strong off the back. Tried all sorts of surface to no avail.

Since I've opened up the VAL angle and bought the pin into the grip, it's money for staying right and rolling up the boards. It lets me play with the house mice, even with my high rev rate. When I tug it into the wet stuff, it regularly trips or messengers the 10. A little right and it recovers strong.

Can't recommend it enough.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]