MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Kids
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 pm 

I'm bowling in an adult/child league this summer with my daughter, because she started to show interest in bowling. Granted, me being a bowler, I guess I should've had her on the lanes when she was 4, but she was doing her own thing, and I didn't want to force anything on her. Now that we're bowling, I ask her if she wants me to give her advice and she says no. She's basically bumper bowling, not aiming, not really caring. Which is fine if that's all she ever wants to do. If she never wants to become a good bowler, I don't care, it's her life. But it just seems aggravating to bowl with her and she doesn't want to improve. When I was a kid, if I saw other people doing something well, I wanted to get better and compete. Maybe she just doesn't have that drive. I guess some people take bowling as a recreation, others as a sport. To me it's definitely a sport, and it's what I like to do.

Thanks for letting me vent, and please, throw something my way on the subject if you can! :)

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

Post subject: Re: Kids
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:27 am 

Not knowing how old she is, she probably just doesn't have the ambition or the interest to get better. I mean does she get mad if she misses the pins or anything? If not, then she's probably just out there to hang out with you and have a good time.

From my personal observations, I've seen group of teens just having fun and laughing at eachother when they bowl a gutter ball and what not. Some people just want to go out there and have a good time with people, and not care about their score or how well they roll the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 am 

Yes, it is frustrating. We (as kids) always tried to get better & were more competitive than many of todays youth. My oldest daughter has naturally good form & could avg. 160-170 w/o practice or trying but it's not "her thing". She did bowl for her H.S. team for 2 yrs. & I remember how scared she was to tell me she did not want to do it the upcoming year in order to pursue other interests. I am at a loss as to how to get the youth more interested in improving & competition. We have a good Jr. league w/great kids but only a small handful are truly interested in bettering their game & taking it to the next level. Most see it as a social-thing, and that's fine. We need as many people on 'da pine/maple' as we can get, so we welcome all kids. All you can do is keep gently plugging away to help them improve & maybe focus alittle more on the kids that are interested in improving. Best of luck to you & if you find a method that gets kids more into competitive bowling, please share it w/me.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:00 pm 

Don't worry. Some people come to this sport late in life. I never started bowling till I was 22. Been around the sport since I could walk. I've done pretty well in this sport since starting late. (h.s. coach- 5 300- and own my own center- proshop owner) I also raised my nephew and raising my own kids. My nephew did not even want to roll a hook till he hit high school. My boy well...... No idea hes 8 and he love bowl cause he gets to play with kids lol only avg 27. My daughter is 2 she love the thought or running down the lanes.... no need to push them the great part about this sport they got a life time to choose to love it. Don't matter if they are 5 and want to get better or 50. Don't push them and at some point they will learn to love it on there own. Good luck...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 am 

Jaydubbayu

I have coached 17 years now almost exclusively youth bowlers, and i also coach Volleyball and Soccer. I've also coached Ice Hockey, Basketball and Baseball and have been coaching youth sports since the late 70's (yeap I am hinting at my age). In my years of experience I've seen many talented kids who had no desire to get better at the sport they are playing, and I've seen many less talented people have so much desire to get better at a sport that they are sponges for information. It's always frustrating as a coach to see the naturally gifted just have fun.

I have to remember that many athletes compete to have fun and socialize, especially in the pre-High School Years. If they are going to get serious and stay in our sport (or any other they are playing) it usually starts when their school has a team. High School bowling in Kentucky is only 13 years old but I have seen many kids go from casual bowlers to "I want to improve" when they transition to their high school team.

I also have a daughter who will be entering the 7th grade this year who has quit bowling (she is an outstanding soccer and volleyball player). She was averaging 160 in the summer between her 5th and 6th grade year and was a natural. But, she does not enjoy the game. As hard as it was for me I had to accept that. I have two other daughters, one who bowled collegiately for a top 20 program at the time, and a 10 year old who loves to bowl who is just an athlete and will be a power player most likely.

I guess what I am saying is at a young age kids play to sports to have fun and make friends. The last thing on their list, when you ask them (not the parents) is winning. I have found they will tell you when they are ready to get serious. I have also found they listen more then we think, and eventually what they hear will be processed. My 10 year old was around me doing lessons (when she was 3 and 4) and she could give a 15 minute lesson on the armswing. If they don't want to improve, it's okay, they are having fun and they will stay in the game as long as they are having fun. Be patient, if she wants to become a better player she will tell you when she is ready. Enjoy EVERY moment (as I know you are) and you have fun too!

Hope this helps.

Dug

BTM Youth Writer
Ken Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach
BWAA Member
SWBA Member
NCBCA Member
USBC Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:26 pm 

Thanks for the advice everyone. She's 10, by the way. I meant to say that in my original message. Yeah she's trying to figure out what she likes to do right now. She played a couple of seasons of soccer and didn't really grasp the concept from her coaches. I know nothing of the game, so I was a spectator. With bowling, she's not wanting to learn, but she reacts negatively at open frames. There is a youth league in the fall that she could get into if she wants, and they have coaches. And, since she's 10, they won't let her bowl with bumpers. But, I'm leaving it all up to her, because, to me, league bowling is a waste of time/money if you don't want to improve.

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]