MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Question about Ascents
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:42 pm 

I have an original Cruel and a Silver Recon. I'm wanting to replace the Cruel with the Ascent lines both solid and pearl. That would give three balls in the bag (all that I ever want to lug around). I wonder, though, if either Ascent, especially the pearl, would give me much more than I already have with the Silver Recon. The Ascent Solid appears to offer more overall hook but the Ascent Pearl and the Silver Recon have very similar specs. I would gladly listen to your views on whether or not there is anything to gain by getting the Pearl.

Post subject: Re: Question about Ascents
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:31 pm 

Well if you're wanting to replace your OG Cruel, do what I did and order a 2Cruel. However if you're wanting to round out your bag, you'd be better off getting a Sigma Tour (or a Trash/Primal Impulse) and then a lower volume ball like a Backdraft or Ascent Solid. My bag (as of when my 2Cruel gets here) is: 2Cruel, Sigma Tour, Ascent Solid, Sniper.

If you're hell-bent on the 1-2 solid/pearl punch, I love both of them and you'd be good with either. My Solid is very smooth into the pocket, while my Pearl just SLAMS the pins with a very angular path.

Here's my suggestion if you have a house that tends to be dry:
QZ2 (or Backdraft)
Ascent Pearl
Silver Recon

If you have a house that puts down a typical volume of oil:
Sigma Tour
Ascent Solid
Silver Recon

Here is how your bag would look if you wanted to keep your OG Cruel:
OG Cruel
Sigma Tour
Silver Recon

All of my suggestions don't take into account how anything is drilled, or how you throw, or how your house is. I just adore my Sigma Tour and I don't know a single person who hates theirs.

I TX1 (16lbs) I SX1 (15lbs) I Cruel LE (16lbs) I Primal TV4 (15 lbs) I Primal Impulse (15 lbs) I Ascent Pearl (15 lbs) I
As soon as I can get it:
I Primal Scream I

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:05 pm 

Barto wrote:
Here is how your bag would look if you wanted to keep your OG Cruel:
OG Cruel
Sigma Tour
Silver Recon

+1, every MOTIV arsenal needs a Sigma Tour. Replacing the Cruel with both the Ascents would leave you well prepared for light oil or short patterns, but it's a very one sided aresenal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 am 

Quote:
The Ascent Solid appears to offer more overall hook but the Ascent Pearl and the Silver Recon have very similar specs. I would gladly listen to your views on whether or not there is anything to gain by getting the Pearl.

jerrylee300,

While the physics (RG, diff, and flare) of the cores on the Silver Recon and the Ascent lines are the same due to the common core, the performance numbers show a serious difference in cover specs. The Ascent's MOTIVator-Z cover is rated almost 80% stronger than the MOTIVator-X cover on the Recon (42 vs 25). With regard to the AP versus the RX1, both covers are pearl and will store energy through the thinning oil and both will release their energy when they see friction in the dryer part of the lane. However, the AP will have more energy and a stronger move at that point.

I hope I didn't oversimplify or discount your understanding. If I am mistaken in my interpretation please correct me.

OBTW...I agree with the Sigma Tour recommendation.

Just my two Lincolns,

H1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 pm 

Thanks for replies and the advice. I am very pleased with the Recon. It gives me a good reaction in the 3rd game so I don't see any real good reason to get the Ascent Pearl. I've thought about the Tour since its announcement and may go with it. Just from looking at all the videos of all the balls, it would appear to be the best suited for now. I like the Ascent Solid but believe the Tour would give me just a little more pop. Again, thanks folks for taking the time to respond.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]