MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Diffrent Ball Surfaces
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:52 pm 

I looked through the forum and theres a great guide on ball maintenance thats been sticked. I wondered though if the community or any of the Staff members, would take the time to put together a guide for diffrent surface adjustments and the expected results. Example takeing a ball that is out of the box 1000 grit and changing it to 3000 or polished. I get the basics of earlier read or longer distance depending on the surface of 4000 grit vs Polish. I think it would be beneficial for those of us looking to get that little bit of extra performance out of our equipment. Aswell as helping those of us looking to add new equipment into our arsenals. To think beyond just the balls layout and how surface can help achieve desired attributes. Personaly I would not qualify myself as having the knowledge, to put something like that together with the proper technical information.

Post subject: Re: Diffrent Ball Surfaces
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:36 pm 

There are no hard rules because of the varying cover materials and sanding techniques, and to understand surface changes you have to see ball motion from front to back and not left to right. The best summation I can give is this:

Friction between the ball and lane triggers the first transition, all of the other transitions and phases of ball motion are dependent upon this happening. Matching ball surface to the amount of friction on the lane is key here. First transitions that start too early or too late result in bad reaction and carry. The layout should match the bowler, the surface the lane condition. Fortunately bowler specs don't change too drastically, and neither can a layout. But lane conditions will change, as can surfaces. We as bowlers lucked out here. Knowing this, here is the application:

Adding surface texture(lower grit) brings the first transition closer to you, reducing surface texture(higher grit/polish) moves the first transition farther from you. The ball should enter the pocket in the third phase, roll. If oil delays the first transition to where the ball hits the pins in the second phase(hook), more surface is appropriate to trigger the first transition sooner. If friction triggers the first transition too soon, the ball will hook out and bleed energy and not carry, and a higher grit and/or polish is appropriate.

Post subject: Re: Diffrent Ball Surfaces
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 pm 

Thanks for the response I feel as a bowler theres a certain amount of OCD that comes with the territory. I've found myself recently keeping a spread sheet for each ball to remind me when I need to resurface and what changes I may have made. About surface diffrences and why I made this post came about through learning to read the front to back carry down. As I noticed alot in my own game especialy game 3 with my Sigma/Hybrid that it would stay in phase 2 hitting the pocket, but leave alot of 8 and 9 pins. What I used to do was adjust my angle 2 on the feet 1 on the boards which had limited success. Ultimately I've just learned to grab a diffrent ball that either plays inside this line or as you said reads a bit earlier to get back into phase 3 as I hit the pocket to carry the pins.

My main issue with resurfacing though is like most bowlers time and cost to test out diffrent results. So for now each ball I tend to have drilled with one specific purpouse and keep it tuned to that origional surface. As well trying to maintain my avg right now a 213 for my Fall leagues. I haven't really changed the current surface of any of my balls beyond how they come out of the box. Which has me wondering how often do you guys change surface.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]