MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: So bummed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 pm 

Well I havent posted in quite awhile but figured it was time after getting my Primal Scream punched up last week. I have been having a rough start to this season dropping nearly 30 pins in average compared to last year. I was hoping that maybe the Scream would give me a boost. Much to my dismay I threw it for the first 5 or 6 frames and put it away for my Primal Impulse. The Scream sounds like its on the railroad tracks nearly every throw and even on occasion when it doesn't I dont see much ball reaction. If the ball does react it tends to be an overreaction more than anything. I am not sure of the exact specs but my pro shop guy had me throw some balls in order to get measurements to drill this ball. It ended up with the PIN nearly touching above my ring finger and no P holes or anything like that. The Motiv Logo seems to stay pretty tight most of the way down the lane so it seems like he got the axis point right at least as far as I understand it. I am hoepfully going today to throw it a few times so he can decide our next step but I am afraid a plug and redrill is the only way and I am not a fan of that at all, I am afraid this will just be one huge waste of money for me. This is in no way an insinuation that the Scream is a bad ball, I love Motiv balls and will use them exclusively now and in the future. I know this will come down to a layout issue but had to vent a little bit as it has bugged me all week.

Cruel C51 LE- 247/663

QZ2 Backdraft

Primal Impulse-300/735- 2nd career 300 03/08/12

Monster Bruiser-1st ever 300 03/24/11-668

Black Ice-(Black) (sb)

Post subject: Re: So bummed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:10 pm 

GervAce,

Here's an educated guess as to your issue with the Primal Scream vs. the Primal Impluse. Are you allowing for the bigger backend you are naturally going to see on the Scream vs. the Impluse. Apples to apples if both balls were laid out the same with same cover for me the Scream has a much larger backend. So, I see where you could get into trouble if not allowing for that difference in ball reaction on the backend.

I have had a Primal Impulse and now the Scream with close to same layout. I have preferred the Scream to the Impluse but if you look at the ball guide it shows where they would fall in the Motiv line-up.

Before you do anything try allowing for a larger backend. Then, if you don't see any difference go to surface.

I find the Scream a ball I can even use on less than medium-heavy moving inside and feeding the ball to the track or any worn area. The roll and carry is amazing for myself. I prefer it to the Impluse for that reason.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:18 pm 

Sorry to hear that Gervace...There was a time when I threw Hammer.. I think it was the Blue ball. I could not get this ball to roll right. No matter how I drilled it up, it seemed to roll oveer the thumbhole.. Didnt have that problem with any other ball..

To this day, I dont know what the problem was?

Sigma Tour
Sigma Hybrid
Ascent Pearl
Ascent Solid

@No7Old

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:00 pm 

Read Jim Kiser's post on BR.com about what he did and results. I'd still think about backend reaction before surface depending on bowler stats., lane condition, etal.

http://www.ballreviews.com/motiv/279780 ... icseen#new

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:48 pm 

Scotts thank you for your help. I will take these suggestions into my proshop guy and go from there. I will try to provide a brief update if we find a solution. Thanks again.

Cruel C51 LE- 247/663

QZ2 Backdraft

Primal Impulse-300/735- 2nd career 300 03/08/12

Monster Bruiser-1st ever 300 03/24/11-668

Black Ice-(Black) (sb)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:35 pm 

best reaction I have had from the Primal Scream was when I broke my wrist and slid the ball through the heads 255 . So I now have added Motiv polish to the ball to get it to skid on a light oil shot and it is now a killer. Worth a try .

ro 40-50
PAP 4 1/2 X 1 1/2 Up
sweet spot
45/3.25/30 asym
50/3.25/25 sym

Rap Attack 60/4/40
Sig tour 45/3.25/25 obf
Primal t4 55/ 4.75/45
Rap 55/3/25 + p3
Primal Im 45x 3.375 x 40 wi hole
Thrash 50x4.25x35

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:59 am 

If you are dropping 30 pins a game from last year, a new ball is not going to fix that. You need to work on your game with a coach. ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]