MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Primal Rage Video and Review (Pin Under Layout)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:56 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqJHbFj1fUc
Tester: MattyG
Speed: Medium (15+ mph down lane)
Rev Rate: 300+
Axis Rotation: Medium to low (30* to 40*)
Axis Tilt: Medium to High (12* - 20*)

Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" right, 1/8" up

Drilling Layout: 70* X 4" X 65*

Surface: 1500 Polished, O.O.B.

Pattern: 41' THS Fresh and "second shift" league (not re-oiled)

Review:
My intention with this ball was to give me something that would utilize the length of the ball but enough flare at the end of the pattern so I should play a breakpoint a little further away than normal so I can increase my entry angle. The Primal Rage did exactly what I intended it to. I was really surprised with how much length it got even with the " pin under" layout. From all the videos I have seen of the ball I didn't want a ball that went 55' then made a left turn. That always looks cool but it never really equals any high scores for me. Instead I wanted to be able to play 6 instead of 8 at the break point and still retain enough energy to not leave splits. What I got was a ball that loves to kick corner pins all over the place. I believe it is a combination of increased speed, because of the easy length, and entry angle that is giving me such great reaction.
Either way, I love what I see.
My "new" videos are being shot in a house that just got new lanes. Although the video was the easiest I have ever shot, bowling league is a whole different story. The oil is moving from the heads to the mids in about a game. This is making the reactions with everything seem a little off. I have found that the ball will still skid through the dry fronts but because there is an increase in the mids the ball is acting like I have 100 more rev rate than I actually have. It responds so hard to the friction that it will roll out off the spot after the 2nd game. It I went with a 5" pin I wouldn't have that problem but it is not the normal condition so I am not listing it as a con.

Conclusion:
The Primal Rage is a ball that will help those of us that don't get a ball to really move HARD and QUICK off the spot. It is just a beast at kicking corner pins out. It also allows you to move in and trust the shot. I found that the deeper I played the better it reacted. If you want a ball that will hook from anywhere, on anything, you NEED a REDBALL!

Post subject: Re: Primal Rage Video and Review (Pin Under Layout)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm 

I know you did a Primal Scream video with a different layout. How would compare the balls, all things being equal? I have a Scream and really like it early in the set but wonder whether the Rage would get me any more performance? Are they similar enough to wait to see what else comes out later this year or would the Rage be a significant upgrade over the Scream to warrant the expense for the upcoming season? From what others have the said , the Rage is a tad longer but many think the Scream has a tad more hook. Curious as your take on the matter. I enjoy your videos because of the many different lines you take: They really show the versatility of both your skill set and the equipment. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:54 pm 

Thank you so much, first off.
As far as the Scream vs the Rage, I think they are different animals. The Scream stays at home unless I am going somewhere that they actually put out real oil volume. It is just so strong a cover. I do like the motion but it usually just rolls too early on most patterns I try to use it on. As far as the Rage goes it it just so clean. It needs almost NO OIL to get down the lane and FLIP. I drilled mine up "strong" or "Early", how ever you want to look at it. I wanted that "pin under" look because of how easy it gets down the lane. I am struggling with it a bit on my current house shot though. The management is tweaking the pattern due to new lanes that were installed. They have (since after I shot the video) decided to take HALF the oil out of the fronts. This just makes the bowlers with under 200rpm look like super stars and those above 200rpm struggle to keep a ball from rolling out. My Rage gets down lane but hooks so violently off the spot it just dies before it gets to the pocket. A 5"+ pin would have been perfect but that was not my intent for this ball.
Long story long, (LOL) they are not the same by a long shot. The ability to retain energy makes the Rage a ball you can use down and in up the dry or hook the whole lane. The Scream requires so oil to do what it does. When you have that oil the Scream is unbeatable! It all boils down to when you would use the ball and what you think you need as a motion.
Hope that helps?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:23 pm 

Yes, it did. Thanks for the response, it covered all my questions. Think I will stay with the Scream for now as does pretty good for me early in the shift. The Venom Strike works really good for me later into the shift, sometimes right off the bat. I often have trouble with balls that "boomerang", so to speak, off the dry and that sounds like what the Rage does. I can almost guarantee I would continue to lead the league in 10 pins with the Rage. Not so much with the Scream/Strike combo. Appreciate the time you put into your videos and your thoughtful responses to questions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:09 pm 

Don't let his comments about how well the Rage hooks trick you. I had the same fears but I have found that while my Rage will cover a lot of boards, it does so in a very controllable manner. You might look into using a long pin (I am 5 1/8th pin up).

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]