MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Getting Re-MOTIVated
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:51 pm 

When Motiv first started I only threw their stuff, but as time progressed I realized that I wasn't doing so hot with them. I used nearly 5 different balls and was unconvinced. I moved away from them and got some new equipment that I am very pleased with. Now I want to give Motiv another shot because I know they deserve it. I want to support a local company as well. So I've decided that this year, I will do what I can, to my wallets extent, and throw Motiv for my last year for the Muskegon Community College Jayhawks. I'm looking into the Primal Rage, and possibly the Venom Toxin or Tribal.

Balls in bag:
Storm Victory Road
Brunswick Aura
DV8 Nightmare
DV8 Too Reckless
Brunswick Tzone
Wants: Primal Rage and Primal Scream

Post subject: Re: Getting Re-MOTIVated
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:13 pm 

So what is your comfort zone? Do you prefer to go up the boards or do you prefer more swing? Looking at what you have I see a mix of strong and hard gear with some backups. The Rage is very versatile and can be set up for multiple uses. Tribal is an unknown (to most)and the Toxin is more limited (my opinion).

Just shooting in the dark I would suggest:

Aura --> Primal Scream (Pin down)
"Benchmark" Ball --> Primal Rage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:08 pm 

I prefer to tween. Not a huge arc, but not really straight up the boards. My benchmark ball, and personally my most favorite, is my Victory Road because it hooks the best for me. I prefer more angular backends, than a smooth arc. I never considered the Scream... having the most versatile ball of the year can't hurt.

Balls in bag:
Storm Victory Road
Brunswick Aura
DV8 Nightmare
DV8 Too Reckless
Brunswick Tzone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:28 pm 

Well, if you are looking for angle then you want the following (IMO):

Heavier Oil: Primal Rage

Benchmark: Tribal (Pin Up based on what I saw tonight and talking with a local staffer Dustin Baker).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:09 am 

I never thought of the Tribal as a benchmark ball. I'm starting to lean towards a Primal Scream for my heavier shots, and the Rage as a benchmark. I like the idea of the Tribal, and I have seen the video. It seems way stronger than they ranked it.

Balls in bag:
Storm Victory Road
Brunswick Aura
DV8 Nightmare
DV8 Too Reckless
Brunswick Tzone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 am 

If you like angular, you will like the Rage. The ball is just that, angular.

As a benchmark, you probably will like the Tribal. Even though it has the same cover as the rage, it is definitely a different ball motion. It is smoother and has more of an arc than angular motion to it.

High Avg - 238
PBA member
Motiv Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:01 am 

I recommend the Tribal as your Benchmark mainly because it should have the closest characteristics to your current favorite.

Let me make another comment here, based on your other post where you bring up college bowling coming up.

First, a quick bit of background. I was just like you. I wanted angular so I could see the ball hook. I went from ball to ball trying to find ones that were really hard on the back but ones I could still control.

I say all that to say this (based on my experience of bowling 4 years of PBA experience leagues): On sport conditions, more angular is not always the answer. The patterns themselves will give you all the reaction (i.e. Hook) that you will want. The trick is controlling that reaction. Balls set up to jump off the breakpoint can become very "touchy" on sport shots. So keep that in mind when looking at what you want and how you want it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 am 

Great point JRDaniels!

High Avg - 238
PBA member
Motiv Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:57 pm 

This would be my second year on the team, and I have done a sport shot league before. The reason I go for the more angular and stronger balls is because it's been the most successful for me.

JRDaniels, what would you suggest for an arsenal then? I throw the ball near 15-16mph, with a gestimated 260rev rate.

I was thinking Scream, rage, toxin, tribal.

Balls in bag:
Storm Victory Road
Brunswick Aura
DV8 Nightmare
DV8 Too Reckless
Brunswick Tzone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 pm 

Just based on my personal experience (I throw 15.5 to 16mph myself but no idea of rev rate) I would suggest starting with the Rage. If you anticipate seeing more, higher volume patterns throughout your season then I would next move to the Scream then the Tribal then the Thrash Frenzy.

If you anticipate more games at higher friction then I would make the Tribal #2 then I would say a Thrash Frenzy then the Scream. I personally find both the Strike and Toxin to be niche balls with limited uses. I know others have great success with both Venoms but it doesn't play into my style as much.

If you want some idea of my style, to see if it really is close to yours, you can go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_YkIk4_Kpc

It's the only video I have (reason is obvious :D) and it will give you some clue as to my delivery and such. I have improved since then (so I am told) but it's what I got.

Ultimately I HIGHLY recommend finding a Pro Shop near you with Motiv Staff and talking to them.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next