MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Symmetrical vs Asymmetrical Cores
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:06 pm 

Could one of our experts explain the differences between symmetrical and asymmetrical cores and each one's advantages/disadvantages? And, how are these types of cores are related to RG and Differential, if at all. It would sure be helpful to at least one non-expert. I'm older bowler, somewhere around 13 mph and decent rev rate who likes the "banana" shape shot as opposed to skid/flip. I'm guessing you can probably manipulate any ball to do most anything (within reason) with drilling and surface changes. But, I don't like to fool with OOB much. Would one core or the other benefit my game more than the other? What Core/RG/Differential combo would best suit my game? Which matters most: RG/Diff or core type? I have a three ball bag and rarely bowl on anything but a THS. Many thanks, in advance!

Post subject: Re: Symmetrical vs Asymmetrical Cores
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:19 pm 

I'm not much of an "expert" on a lot of this. Hopefully someone could elaborate on everything. But all you need to know is symmetrical core balls usually smooth out shape and are more predictable and controllable. Asymmetrical core balls usually have more length and backend reaction. With your speed and style I would strongly suggest staying with symmetrical balls. The gear core would fit you the best in my opinion. Venom strike and Toxin are the way to go. Hope this kind of gets an idea in your head.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:56 am 

You're probably right. I have a Strike and like it a lot. I had the original Cruel and could get it to the pocket but was leaving 10 pins all over the place. Not so much with the Strike (more 7 pins than 10s, which is certainly a plus for me). I'm thinking I would like the Gear core in a ball somewhere between the Talon and the Hybrid, a ball for medium heavy to heavy oil to start the shift, then move to the Strike later in the shift. Would be nice to see an entire Gear lineup from heavy oil to very light oil. Appreciate the comment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:32 pm 

Why not drill another venom strike up. Punch a strong layout in it to compete for heavier condition. Then have a toxin for when you start leaving 10 pins but need a little more length.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm 

What about RG and Differential? How do they affect the roll of the ball? Would I be better off with a high RG/low Diff ball, low RG/high diff. both low, both high? The manufactures always give these numbers so they must be very important. I'm guessing I would be better with a low diff ball but not sure. Any thoughts on this issue?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:03 pm 

Hope I can answer this the best way I can for you. RG is going to be based on how early/late the ball gets into the initial roll and the differential is based on how quickly the ball will react on the friction and backend. I have a medium ball speed around 15-16 mph but I'm more of the stroker type so I don't put a lot of revs on my ball or cover alot of boards. I can match with both core types but I tend to favor balls with RGs around 2.48-2.52 and differentials between .050 to .055, especially on fresh oil. Now, it may be different for you because not everyone is the same. What I can say is that I learned throughout the years that the coverstock is the first thing you want to look at in a ball. Think of it as a car: the coverstock will be the tires that gives you traction, the core is the engine and the spec numbers are the horsepower and torque.

Now, I liked the Gear core that was in the GT1 but I felt like I didn't match up well with the Venom Strike but that was more of a layout issue. But I know some bowlers who has the Venom Toxin that has a slower ball speed and they simply love it because of how well it reacts in the backend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:50 am 

Thanks for the input. I guess we may be backwards of each other. I seem to better with lower diff balls than higher ones. I had the Cruel LE (.060) and left tons of 10 pins. I do much better with the Venom Strike, fewer 10 pins but, perhaps, a few more 7 pins. However, I also use the Primal Scream (.054) and bowled OK with 'til I had it sanded to 2000 and it has suddenly come alive for me. Not sure how to rate covers. I read what the manufacturer says about them (the best, most, heaviest, cleanest, etc) but the descriptions don't mean much to me. Some manufacturers rate their cover stocks relative to each other and that is useful. At least you know what they intend for the cover. I'm beginning to think I should but a ball for its looks then make it work (LOL).

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]