MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Ball Guide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 am 

There are times when I wish Motiv would standardize the naming of their balls. For example, the top row of the ball guide could be the Cruel series (3 balls L - R), next the Primal series (3 ball L - R), then the Sigma series, the Venom series, the Ascent series.
That would give customers/bowlers three different balls for a variety of lane conditions from super heavy to very dry and three different reactions to choose from for all conditions. Just knowing the name of a new ball would let us bowlers get a pretty good idea where the new ball fits in Motiv's lineup. With the new Covert Revolt, I'm not sure where it will be until they actually put on the chart. If it were the Primal Revolt, I would know exactly where it goes. Just an idea.

Post subject: Re: The Ball Guide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:57 pm 

I think that the names of the balls you can always count on them being in the same category as far as hook potential. For example: Raptors are always heavy oil, Cruel's always heavy oil, Primal's always heavy/medium oil (The Covert Revolt is now in same category as Primal's), the Sigma's are always medium oil, Venom's are always medium/light oil just for current examples. The shapes of these balls can differ but cores stay the same, but with very different covers obviously.

The MOTIV ball guide is an excellent and very accurate tool! It allows you to really see where you might have gaps or show how to spread out your equipment. Not bashing any company as MOTIV uses numbers to dictate hook potential too, but some balls obviously react different for different types of bowlers. No matter the style of bowler you can still rely on the chart to be truthful (In my opinion).

What if all manufactures used this ball guide? People would have a much better idea where balls fit in across multiple manufactures...yes I know one companies medium/angular ball will differ from the next, but it is WAY more universal than a numbering system!?

I hope this helps!

Boom Apparel Staff

Last edited by Mags on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 pm 

Mags, I'm eagerly awaiting your Revolting video :)

Ball Speed: 16mph

Cruel Intent x2
Primal Rage
Raptor Talon
Primal Scream
Covert Revolt x2
Sigma Sting
Tribal
Venom Shock x2
Venom Toxin
Ascent Pearl (G/P)
Tank
Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:23 pm 

I will get the video done soon as I can! Thinking of comparing a Sigma Sting and a Raptor Talon? Any thoughts?

Boom Apparel Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 pm 

Honestly that sounds like a good idea since they're both "smooth" motions. I'm really eager because of the "totally new" everything with this ball, no reused core or cover stock.

Ball Speed: 16mph

Cruel Intent x2
Primal Rage
Raptor Talon
Primal Scream
Covert Revolt x2
Sigma Sting
Tribal
Venom Shock x2
Venom Toxin
Ascent Pearl (G/P)
Tank
Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:13 pm 

If you have one I'd compare it to the Sigma Hybrid as well, since they're supposed to have similar ball motions and numbers.

Jerry I think your idea is great. And for the most part that's exactly what they do. However I think the naming convention revolves around the core that they use. For example the Primal series. They all have the same core. Same with the Venom and Raptor lines. Different covers but same core. The new Covert and as well as the Tribal have brand new cores and got different names instead. For me I find that convenient, because then I know the ball is standalone and I can expect something different. If they release a new "Cruel" (I'm gonna guess it'll be a hybrid Fusion cover, which would be sick), I would expect it to have the Sinister core and I'll have an idea of what it does.

I'm personally very excited for the Covert Revolt because it's the one motion in my bag I'm missing from Motiv. I found the Sigma Hybrid extremely rolly for a hybrid. And not quite a "Medium-heavy oil" ball that it was originally advertised.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:24 am 

Mags,

I agree that naming the Covert Revolt the Primal Revolt would be confusing with folks thinking it had the same core as the other Primals. Don't get me wrong, I find the Motiv chart very easy to understand. Brunswick has a decent one too with their graph showing length and hook. Both are better than numbering systems though I guess Track's system isn't bad if you don't have a chart. The Revolt may be just the ball for me. I seem to score better with earlier rolling balls than very angular ones though I've been pleased with my Rage so far early in the shift. Eagerly awaiting the videos on the new ball and how it compares to other on the chart.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am 

Mags wrote:
I will get the video done soon as I can! Thinking of comparing a Sigma Sting and a Raptor Talon? Any thoughts?

Certainly the Sigma Sting, I'm really liking that ball right now. Do you have a Sigma Hybrid to compare it too? The Covert Revolt seemingly will fall between the Hybrid and the Talon on the ball chart. It would make a nice comparison of the 3 more aggressive smooth motion balls.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 am 

Sorry guys, no longer have a Hybrid. So it will be Sigma Sting and a Raptor Talon...maybe even a shot with a Venom Strike!

Now that logging is easier, hopefully we can get this forum going again! I will check on here at least once or twice a day!

Boom Apparel Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:44 pm 

I'd like to see you compare the Rage with the Revolt.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next