Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: primal rage layout
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:05 pm 

70/5.5/40

No balance hole.

I have more revs than speed. Ball is jumpy last 10 ft. When it hits, sometimes it's flat.

Ball speed is 15.7

I also punched out a cruel intent
55/4.5/55

Small balance hole.

Love it. Hits hard, great pin action. I can play multiple lines

Please help on the primal rage.

Post subject: Re: primal rage layout
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:41 pm 

VAL number looks good. I'd be concerned about the pin length. 5.5 is pretty weak, small flaring. Because the ball has so much length, could be why it's hitting flat and uncontrollable in the back end. Mine was very similar out of box, my layout was 50x4x40. But this ball hooks. I bet you on some fried lanes when you gotta move in, that Primal is probably money.

I'd try adding a weight hole. Start with a p3, that should up the diff and increase the flare. Can even go p4 if you really want to add some kick.

Your cruel is probably "hard hitting" because it is flaring much more than your primal. Even those the Cruel is an asym, these balls are fairly similar.

Just my two cents, I'm sure someone else will chime in as well. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 pm 

The way it's drilled now- she hooks. Very skid/flip... what I wanted. Length with strong delayed backend.

I think it's just overreacting right before it hits the 1/3 pocket.

Motiv sent me an email today stating sand with 2000 abrasion pad and polish??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:55 am 

I really think it needs to be redrilled.

League night- I had the primal rage sanded at 2k + polish and results were horrible.

Ball seems to have no energy. Very flat in pocket. No drive, no pin action. Very disappointed at this point.

Someone chime in with drilling suggestions.

Speed 15.8
Revs med/high
Pap 4.5 3/8 up
High track

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:01 pm 

That's actually what I ended up doing to mine. The box finish for that ball must be 4K then polish. This worked well for me. Made it start up just a tiny bit earlier but still enough length and tons of hitting power. Just evened it out a bit which is what I wanted. If you think the ball is plenty strong, try this first. My suggestion of the weight hole was based on that the pin length is pretty weak which could be why you see weak 10's and over/under. If your still not satisfied after a surface tweak, maybe think about asking your ball driller to punch a hole in it. While the surface tweak worked very well on my Primal Rage, I had a Sigma Hybrid that no surface adjustment helped until I punched a hole in it. Saved the ball for me.

Let us know how the surface change works!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:35 pm 

I'm pretty sure the rage is 500+1500+ polish from the factory. Based on your initial description of "hitting flat" I thought you had a whole different problem on your hands. Hitting flat to me implies that it doesn't corner or drive hard enough. Is that the problem? Because that could be a result of the sub surface being a little too rough, hence the suggestion to bring it to 2000 and adding polish....resulting in cleaner motion and better drive.

If that wasn't the initial problem, what was? You mentioned later that it does hook, is skid flippy. What are you leaving on the flat hits you mentioned?

My gut is telling me that you're seeing a bit of over under reaction, and carry issues because of that combined with the extreme angularity. That is a horse of a different color than how I personally interpret "flat." If my gut feeling is right try leaving the ball at 4000 abralon. No polish. It will still corner well because of the drill you've got on it. Without the polish it might even out the severity of the backend a little bit for you and make it more controllable.

Let us know when you get a chance, you've got an awesome ball there in the rage. Don't give up on it. It'll be worth figuring it out.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 pm 

I ended up trying a few things and my end result is

Sanded 500, 3000 with Motiv polish

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]