MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Layout Advice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:00 am 

I recently got back into bowling and am replacing older balls with motiv. I bowl mostly on kegel sport shots, with a few house shot leagues and tournaments thrown in the mix. My speed is around 18mph, with revs around 450. my axis tilt is between 5-10 degrees and rotation is right around 45 degrees. I currently have a Primal Rage drilled 40 x 3-3/8" x 45 and seem to get good results from it. i also have a Primal Scream drilled with the pin in the center of the grip and the cg kicked out at 20 degrees from the grip centerline.

I have a few balls on the way and was looking for suggestions to be able to comfortably play multiple conditions based on the strengths of each ball. I can also adjust the surfaces to prevent some from being too similar. The balls i have coming are the Primal Scream, Frenzy, Frenzy Thrash, and Sigma Hybrid.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: Re: Layout Advice
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:01 pm 

Any advice on layouts for the strengths of each ball and a diverse arsenal?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:44 pm 

Hi Olson. It looks like you got pretty good stats there.

so it looks like you got a strong pin iin your Primal Rage, and a weak pin in your Primal Scream. Now to confirm, you're getting the original Thrash, correct? You wrote "Frenzy, Frenzy Thrash". There is no "Frenzy" just to clarify :)

Here's what I'd recommend for each ball, and I'll explain my reasoning afterwards:

Thrash: 70 x 4" x 70.
Thrash Frenzy: 70 x 5" x 40
Primal Scream: 70 x 5.5" x 30
Sigma Hybrid: 70 x 4" x 45

I left the drill angle for all of them at 70 because they're all syms and should be enough for weight holes if they're needed. Because 3 out of 4 of them are solids, I suggest some variety in layouts. The Thrash will be very smooth and controllable. The Thrash Frenzy will be a nice compliment to your Primal Rage if the Rage is a bit too strong and you need to shell down a bit. The 2nd primal scream is to contrast your first primal scream. It's going to get down lane further, and have some backend, but still be fairly strong due to the cover. The weaker pin should allow you to use this on a house shot more often as well. The Sigma Hybrid is pretty strong, and will be good when you encounter some oil. It'll start up a bit earlier but still have energy for the back end.

Hopefully this helps at all. I picked the pin lengths mostly because you said you're bowling on Kegel sport shots. Since you're pretty high rev at around 450, I didn't suggest any pins stronger than 4" because I personally wouldn't think you need them. But I kept two of your pins in the Thrash and Sigma moderately strong for the sake of the harder patterns it sounds like you're bowling on. My rev rate is lower than yours (350-400) and I almost never need pins that strong.

I'm sure someone else with more knowlege than I will also comment on this. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 pm 

Thanks for the info. You were right, I meant thrash instead of frenzy.

I really like the looks of your layouts. I especially like the weaker pins. I have been contemplating drilling some weaker pin stuff just to try out, but have hesitated because of my speed. But I think it may be good to have some since I usually do worse on the conditions with less oil or shorter lengths. And also I have always had good luck with balls with the pin/pap and val angle between 35-45, so your drillings will probably work well.

The scream I have drilled with the weak pin has been plugged and redrilled a couple times so it was more of a test for the layout that anything. So I'm not really planning on using it for more than just very particular situations. One thing with it though is that first track is in the normal spot, but one of the intersections of the track rings in right next to the middle finger. Haven't really had a ball track like that before, but what position motion hole would be able to make the ball flare less and move that intersection further away from the fingers, if possible.

Last thing, any surface adjustments or would you keep them all at factory?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:46 pm 

Are you asking where to put a weight hole to try and pull the flare away from the fingers? Sorry, I was confused by "motion hole", but it doesn't sound like you're talking about an actual motion hole.

I would leave the factory finishes on them and try them first. If it were me the only one out of those that I would be quickest to change is the Thrash, 1000 wet sand is a good amount of grit. Depending on how early it rolls I'd probably hit it with 2000 or 3000 to have it lay off a bit, since the Sigma Hybrid has the same box finish. I don't mess around with pearl surfaces out of factory very often, mostly just solid coverstocks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:58 pm 

Yeah, I meant a weight hole. Been talking so much drilling with guys here that I got mixed up.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]