MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interesting...Octane...
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:57 pm 

I loved the qz line and the thrash with the quadfire core...and it can get better? INSANE!

House Hack Motiv Staff =)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:30 am 

Thanks for the responses Bob and Brett.

Bob, I wonder if the ball is 5 stronger than the Backdraft, is Motiv redefining what "medium" is in their line-up. How strong will medium be now? Will what we considered a medium reaction 5 years ago going to be a weak reaction today? Or is Motiv trying to stay a step ahead of oil technology (which seemed to make a significant jump recently)?

My house isn't exactly medium so I find I am having to go to weaker equipment as newer stuff comes out. Newer balls are consistently 1-2 boards stronger than what they are replacing and after a few years, you end up with medium oil balls having the same strength as heavy oil balls.

Just a curious question.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:05 pm 

spmcgivern wrote:
...if the ball is 5 stronger than the Backdraft, is Motiv redefining what "medium" is in their line-up.

I would have to say "YES" to this question. Bob's comparison of the Backdraft to the Octane sounds exactly like what I saw comparing the Sigma Tour and the Sigma Sting. Both sigmas were in the same location on the ball chart and I used the same layout as Bob did.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:09 pm 

The definition of "heavy, medium, & light" oil balls is forever changing/evolving. I think this is true especially for Motiv because we are so new to the bowling ball industry. The R&D people have such a better understanding of ball reaction & motions needed to strike on todays conditions then they did 3-5 yrs ago. Remember how the GT1 was the med-heavy oil ball ?!! Not by todays standards. I love mine on the short Cheetah pattern (by the way, I'm still looking for a new 15# . . hint, hint). Balls are more aggressive, thus oils get more slicker, and the cycle just repeats itself. Us 50+ guys remember when the LT-48 was our prayer for "oily" lanes. Now I only see them (the original ones) on house ball racks. I am just amazed at the progress they have made w/regards to coverstocks. They've come a long way in a short period of time.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:46 pm 

bob i know someone with a NIB 15# GT1...

House Hack Motiv Staff =)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:17 pm 

StickZ - pls PM w/the info on the individual w/GT1. There was one person on here that had one but price was too high for me. I would most likely like to trade for it if they are willing, but no harm in talking. Thanx for the tip.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:47 pm 

"5000 Grit Laser Scan Polished"

very interesting...

Motiv Gear (14#):
TZ3 55 x 4.75 x 30
Primal 60 x 4.5 x 30
Cruel 40 x 4 x 40
Sigma Hybrid 30 x 4.5 x 60
Sniper

RH Stroker
PAP: 4.625 ^ 1.125
15-15.5 mph
260 RPM
Axis Rot.: 55 - 60
Tilt: 44

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:29 am 

Bob Michalojko wrote:
The definition of "heavy, medium, & light" oil balls is forever changing/evolving. I think this is true especially for Motiv because we are so new to the bowling ball industry. The R&D people have such a better understanding of ball reaction & motions needed to strike on todays conditions then they did 3-5 yrs ago. Remember how the GT1 was the med-heavy oil ball ?!! Not by todays standards. I love mine on the short Cheetah pattern (by the way, I'm still looking for a new 15# . . hint, hint). Balls are more aggressive, thus oils get more slicker, and the cycle just repeats itself. Us 50+ guys remember when the LT-48 was our prayer for "oily" lanes. Now I only see them (the original ones) on house ball racks. I am just amazed at the progress they have made w/regards to coverstocks. They've come a long way in a short period of time.

Totally agree Bob. It just seems it is more pronounced with the last 2 years worth of releases. It probably is the development of better coverstocks since we have had a little problem of diverse reaction shapes from the older equipment.

Jamie is no longer on staff and it is for the best right now in her life. But I think with the newer stuff she would enjoy bowling a little more. Hopefully things will change in the future and she can represent Motiv again with the newer stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:54 pm 

The coverstock has a 5000 grit laser sanding on it? I cant wait to see more.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:54 pm 

When should we expect a video on this ball? It seems like it is very close to that time where we get a small teaser.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next