MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Oil Absorbtion on Motiv Balls
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:25 am 

I thought that this would be a good question to ask, I know that over time all bowling balls get soaked up with oil and they lose that drive that we all love about getting a new ball. I was curious to know from other Motiv users about there equipment..Im pretty new to the Motiv world and love there great products, I have thrown a lot of diffrent manufactures equipment over the years and noticed that alot of the balls die out really early and fast as 3 to 4 months and "that is while wipeing them off between shots and cleaning them with cleaner at the end of your set"..A friend was telling me that Motiv balls don't guzzle up the oil like a lot of other soakers on the market, the reason he said was due to the Neomark Cover that all the balls have on them basically making it like 2 layers (1) the cover then (2) the ball..I don't know to how much of this is true or not but i will use the TR2 for instance..800 grit cover and meant for heavier oil vs a ball like 900G's Bounty Hunter..which ball would soak up the most? I love a ball that last a while well at least 6 to 7 months without having the oil extracted out..Also can Motiv balls be put in one of those "oil extracting" bowling ball ovens? or is just giving it a good ol' warm water bath best to extract oil

Post subject: Re: Oil Absorbtion on Motiv Balls
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:30 pm 

All balls soak up oil. The rate and amount varies based on conditions and how much the ball is getting used. I have a GT1 and have not seen it die as you talk about. In fact I just used it on a very heavy volume condition while practicing recently. I then cleaned it by soaking in hot water (no soap) and then wiping with a paper towel that had alcohol on it. I did this a couple of times until the rag showed no more dirt. I just finished bowling a tournament in which five different patterns were used. I only got to throw the GT a couple shots in practice right before matchplay, as there was not enough oil on the lanes for it. If it had been losing its bite, I would probably have been able to use it. There are times when a ball glazes up from use and some may confuse this with oil absorbtion. Something to try if the ball does start to lose reaction, is to hit it very lightly with a fine scotch brite pad. I do this quite often and have found that many balls that seem to be dying, come right back once I put a very small amount of surface on them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:47 am 

One of my youth customers brought in a GT1 I drilled for him with approx 200 games on it. It was fully saturated. I baked it and cleaned the surface, and the reaction came back 100%.

I also had a gent saturate a TX1 and again, a bake and clean up brought it right back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:19 am 

use the power gel scuff to remove the oil out of the pours its the best . Apply liberally to the surface , let dry 45 minutes to an hour . wipe off with a clean cloth. the ball is now oil free. get in the 21st century and dont bake the precious motive ball use the products that are designed for the coverstocks. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:11 am 

The scuff does work very well, but sometimes it isn't enough.

And by bake I mean safely using a rejuvenator or revivor.

I was curious if the neomark graphics would make it through an extraction cycle, and they did fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:12 pm 

But remember.....not ALL coverstocks absorb oil at the same rate, and some hardly absorb oil at all.

The Motivator-X coverstock on the SX1 & TX1 is a little harder than most, (I can attest to that just by the way it felt as the drill bit was going through the balls on my press), and really doesn't seem to absorb much oil at all. That is why the original two balls with the Motivator-X coverstock are quite calm and great for drier lane conditions.

CANADA

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]