MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning the ball
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:21 am 

Something does not sound right. You should wipe your ball after every shot and clean it after each session. A basic ball cleaner works or just go buy a gallon of acetone from the local hardware store and put that in a bottle. Once you "feel" like the ball needs a little more major work, then the proshop will give it a great scrub and resurface when needed. All 3 of my Motiv bowling balls carry the same shot as the day I got them. My GT has over a year put on it and it still going strong.

Gt1 - 1-300 1-289 1-287 1-280 5-279
Rx1(Orange)
Sr2 - 1-290 1-279
Tv4 added!50x45@4.75" - 1-289 2-279
Venom Toxin MOtion hole 1-276 1-300(p)
4 - 300's 1 practice
high series 791-796-785-824

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:49 pm 

Be extremely careful with Acetone, it is a very strong solvent and should be used very sparingly on reactive balls.

1)Wipe after each shot with a Microfiber towel.
2)After each set use Power Gel Clean and a Microfiber towel to clean the surface.
3)Once the surface gets beat up, have the ball resurfaced by a pro shop.
4)At the point where the ball becomes saturated, have the oil safely extracted by a pro shop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:28 pm 

As Justin said, be careful with acetone, I heard that it makes the cover of the ball softer which is prone to more problems...Just spend the few extra bucks for ball cleaner and clean it regularly after use and you should be fine.

House Hack Motiv Staff =)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:44 pm 

And that's not to mention the health hazards of acetone- inhaling and skin absorption. It's highly flammable, and just dangerous stuff to have around the house. Seriously.

Power Gel Cleaner is an excellent cleaner, and there are many more products that are great, too. If you aren't used to cleaning the ball each night, try "strike wipes" or another similarly branded product that are like baby wipes, just with ball cleaner in them instead of baby-butt-cleaner. You can get 2 balls cleaned with each wipe, and they are super convenient.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:15 pm 

Ditto's on the acetone concerns. Very flammable! I only use it to remove super glue residue on the ball. You could use the 'po mans' cleaner, rubbing alcohol, it is very cheap. But again, I only use that for cleaning out finger grip holes & thumb insert holes. Best bet is the Power Gel Cleaner. Works great & really gets the dirt off. Kegel has just come out w/cleaner that is also pretty good.

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:03 pm 

Being such a strong solvent, Acetone can break down the plasticizer used in bowling balls. Regular use can "dry out" the urethane and lead to reduced performance and in extreme cases, cracking. I use it only for removing super glue residue or nasty marks that won't come off without cutting the surface.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:21 pm 

Let me say this as loud as I can, NEVER use acetone to clean a bowling ball, it is the worst thing you could do. We only use a very small amount to clean off glue around the fingers or thumb slug, and to open up grips.
Always use a cleaner that is citrus based, the power gel is very good and a great value when you get 16oz's as compared to other cleaners. The Ebonite Energizer is good also, but at a higher price for only 5oz's. It's like taking your leather couch to the car wash, it just doesn't make sense.
I hope I have made my point loud and clear.

David
PBA Member
Bowlers Design Pro Shop
Reno, Nv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm 

i agree with the acetone comments.. the Motiv stuff is amazing and a great buy for the price...we sell brunswicks remove all ball cleaner at the shop as well and it isnt bad and very cheap..but ounce for ounce the motiv stuff is the cheapest! and the best

Pro Consultant for NKU Bowling Club
GET MOTIVATED

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:39 pm 

I have been using a 50/50 mix of rubbing alchohol and windex simply for economic reasons. A mistake??

Motiv Cruel
Motiv SR2
Motiv Silver Recon
Motiv Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:28 pm 

@TimG:
No, probably not a mistake as far as damaging the ball is concerned; just more work than is necessary. Isopropyl is also flammable, so caution with that stuff. There are lots of good options listed in this topic, and I like to see folks stick with non-toxic, non-flammable products that are specifically designed to clean the ball. For those unfamiliar with TechLine/Motiv, these guys really know their chemicals. Period, end of story, Amen. They employ a lot of smart people to make some damn good products (and they make them in America to boot!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next