MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What would You Suggest for Cruel Drilling ??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:20 pm 

I have a Cruel that I haven't quite decided how to punch it up yet. I'm at about 18-19 mph can go a lil slower if I really think about but it leads to messing something else up...LoL, Lower on the revs . More a down and in player but can swing it when the lanes are getting torched. Our House shot is 44'...Yes 44' I know... they tried to go with a 38' shot this year but to many cry babies so they put it back. Only after 3 nites of leagues. I mainly keep my hand in the 6 o'clock position to start rotoating to 9 and have a lil bit of cupping action going on if that helps any.

Thanx for any and all input...Probably drill it up this coming week sometime..

Post subject: Re: What would You Suggest for Cruel Drilling ??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:59 pm 

Your speed dominant style actually works in favor to the Cruel, being such a strong ball.

I would suggest a 50x20@4.5", throw it before you place the hole. If you need it to hook earlier, P3. if you need it to go longer, P1. The 2000 finish should be adequate given the length of the pattern. If after placing the hole you need to further tweak the reaction, surface is your next bet. 1k or 500 if you need earlier reaction, 4k or 1k and polish if you need later reaction.

This layout should provide you with a good midlane read with some pop off the spot to carry the corner.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:37 am 

". . too many cry babies"?! What's that you say, league bowlers complaining about the shot! Why I've never heard of such a thing! :D :D Anyhow, ditto to what Justin says. That layout looks pretty good. I drilled one for a customer of mine that probably throws it similar to you & we just stacked the pin/cg/mb w/pin slightly above ring finger & put a P3 hole & boy does he love it! The Cruel really moved big time when we tweeked the coverstock w/1000 but that was more aggressive than what he needed for THS so we pulled it back we a fairly used 2000 grit pad. He be very happy now! Good luck & welcome to Motiv-nation

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:57 am 

League bowlers... Synonymous with crybabies! Ha ha that's why I bowl 2 houses usually if in Multi-leagues. Mix it up...

Anywho...
I have the Sr2 and it's drilled 4.5" pin up with p2 hole... With the same exact drilling on the cruel, because of the surface/core combo... This should still be a more-hooking ball than the sr2 should it not? I probably just answered my own question, but lemme know.

Silver Rx1
Sr2
Primal Impulse
Bad weather ball
Storm Ice Spareball

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:09 am 

depends on whether or not the 4.5" pin is above or below the fingers. My pin up Cruels go signifcantly longer than my pin below the bridge ball. I can use the pin up one on THS not so much w/the pin under. If you really like the SR2 & want to use it as your benchmark ball, why not put an aggressive drilling on the Cruel & make it your heavier juice ball . . say 45x4x45 w/p3 hole. Hit the surface w/new 2000 or 1000 pad & you should have one heckuva a monster! Hope this helps

Motiv Staff Member
Turbo Xtreme Dealear Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:42 pm 

if you would like a smooth heavy roll,,,great on house shot and most pba patterns 120x4x15....lol i no i no...your all havin a tuff time with my high number... but it works great...no drag in the midlane

jim huddleston
motiv staff member
pba member
powerhouse certified

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:03 pm 

hudwood wrote:
if you would like a smooth heavy roll,,,great on house shot and most pba patterns 120x4x15....lol i no i no...your all havin a tuff time with my high number... but it works great...no drag in the midlane

jim huddleston
motiv staff member
pba member
powerhouse certified

For a speed dominant player like Sparks, a 135 angle sum will hook in the pit.

This 120x15@4" is not a magic layout that will work for everyone. Rev dominant and/or slow speed players can definitely take advantage, but speed dominant players will not have good results.

Placing the PSA and CG on the negative is akin to antiquated full roller layouts that place a good amount of mass on the negative. Again, with the Cruel being so strong, this works for rev dominant players. But remember, not everyone is rev dominant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:39 pm 

I finally got to punch up the Cruel today... I went with the 50x20x4.5" after throwing it a lil bit we decided to go with the P3 hole.. Dude she's a mover feet at 25 putting it out to about 5 and she screams back to the pocket full of power... I'm Luvin' It... I'm looking forward to league this week to see how she works on the breakdown... Most play @ 10 so I should be good out @ 5 for a while.... Yep Definately MOTIVated

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:33 pm 

Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Keep us posted :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm 

I've used the Cruel now for 4 nights of leagues and I've been steadily shooting over average 590,624,610,640. This drilling is really matching up with me. I've also been doing a lil more @ release to get some more revs,that is helping as well. Thanx again Justin for the layout advice.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next