MOTIV

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Cruel Layout Confusion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:45 pm 

Ok, here's the background. The Cruel C51 is my first new bowling ball since the last urethane I purchased in '92. and really haven't bowled since then. This year I've been bowling in 2 summer leagues and doing mediocre. I pretty much throw down the 10 board into the pocket. I have noticed that I can't play an inside line, even when the lanes dry up, the ball will roll-out or more often just never recover. I mostly just contributed to my bowling style.

My Son wanted to get a Raptor, so yesterday so we drove 2 hours to a pro shop that had them in stock. These guys really seemed to know what they were doing, they asked what stats he knew (rpm and ball speed) and what he wanted the ball to do. The only downside to this pro shop is it is not located in a bowling alley.

They didn't have the Motiv ball I wanted in stock, I decided to get something on clearance that would work on dry lanes. They took my Cruel into the back to take it's measurements, the driller came back out after a while and asked what I wanted for the new ball layout, because he thought the Cruel was laid out very badly.

Anyways here's my stats and the layouts on the balls and some pictures. Bottom line what should I do with the Cruel? How much different would it roll if I changed layouts? The pro shop suggested filling the balance hole, adding a P4 hole and drilling the finger holes deeper (which I might have done except for the 4 hour round trip to get the ball back).

My Stats:

PAP: 4" over 7/8" up
RPM: 300
MPH: 17.5 (60 ft average)
Rotation: 55º to 65º
Tilt: 15º

Cruel C51: 50ºx4x5º (Yes that is a five)
Hammer Backlash: 45ºx4x40º

Attachments:
IMAG0211.jpg
IMAG0211.jpg [ 98.52 KiB | Viewed 914 times ]
IMAG0210.jpg
IMAG0210.jpg [ 98.95 KiB | Viewed 913 times ]

Post subject: Re: Cruel Layout Confusion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 pm 

I would fully plug it and redrill. Adding a P4 hole would actually make it worse.

Redrill 60x35@4.5", if it requires a hole place a P2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:43 am 

Justin,

First I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to recommend a layout for me. I picked my fully plugged and re-drilled Cruel today, I didn't have a chance to throw it before league tonight. I got about 3 practice shots off during warm-up (none of which were strikes) and then proceeded to throw 10 in-a-row (6 in-a-row my previous best). Finished with a 284 (Personal best for me).

The ball hooks a bit different now, getting more length out of it, with what appears to be a more consistent hook. The biggest difference seems to be hitting power. I threw this ball Monday night with the old layout 50ºx4x5º. I was all over the pocket all night and seemed like I couldn't buy a strike. Tonight I could do no wrong, a little light and little heavy, it didn't matter the pins were in trouble.

BTW my Son threw his Raptor for the first time in league tonight. He was having some release issues, but at one point he had 4 in-a-row and not one of them was a pocket shot. Clearly the P7 cheats! lol j/k

Once again would like to thank you for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:54 pm 

Very welcome, congrats on your new personal best scores! If you ever have any other questions, please let us know.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]